Contest Results The Masters in May Fremont, WI

Thanks everyone and congrats to all who heard their name! This was a great first year event - I love contests at a campground! Lots of volunteers, great venue, organizers wanted feedback to make it better, etc. They tried a little too hard at awards and made it a little goofy, but otherwise a great event.

Very impressed with this one as a first time event!

We were fortunate enough to have been neighbors with Kave Dwellers. Great guys! And also our neighbors whenever we can make it happen, Moose's!

Some ovservations...
Never been to a comp before that had a sponsored 9:22! (Jim Beam Honey)
awards_zps2c246710.jpg

shot1_zps1c5b3731.jpg

And then not one, but two shots and 2 toasts!
shot3_zps1fda399b.jpg

shot4_zps0de2fe0f.jpg

As has already been said, the staff and volunteers did a great job taking care of ice needs, trash and recycle pickup, etc. And the venue was gorgeous, once it dried out Saturday!

From a team perspective, we were happy. Not so much with where we placed (13th in ribs was our best of the day) but that everything was done on time, and no DAL's. Considering our past two years, healthwise, and equipment issue wise, this was a good first outing!

As a reference, this is what a 45 of 48 brisket looked like. (it was a bit underdone:mad:)
brisket_zpsbbf7b4ce.jpg

At the end of the day, we had a great time! Rather than hurry and run out, we kicked back and partied a bit Saturday night, and packed up the show and drove home Sunday, squeezing in a stop at the Mars Cheese Castle near the WI/FIB border:icon_shy

The awards were interesting, to say the least. Not sure who decided the top 2 in each category would be announced last, but it was....different.

To Tim from Tims full belly deli, thanks for doing such a great job with getting teams out there. This was an excellent first time contest, and we look forward to coming back next year! Thanks also to the organizers, the volunteers, and the Jellystone employees!

Last edited:
This was only our second competition so I don't have much to compare it to, but we had a great time. From our perspective, everything was right on point. Congrats to everyone involved in putting the comp together, and all the great cooks in the field.

What else needs to be said. Amazing first year contest. Rumor was people were trying to pay for a spot next year. I've been talking to Tim a bit and they are already working on next year's contest. The Michigan boys didn't fair all that well but Rich (thebbqsuperstore.com) did one hell of a brisket and took those honors. I think everyone was a little confused about the awards. The campground was great, the spectators that were there were pretty good too. They had been told prior to make sure they stay out of way. We will definitely be back next year. This group could give classes on how to run a contest.

I have to agree with everyone else that this was a very well run event and we had a great time! :clap: You never would have known it was a first year event. We will be coming back to this one!!

Never having been to an event, and as this was basically in my backyard, a friend and I spent the day Saturday there. Got there just before 10:00 and even though we were told not to bother the teams, we were amazed at just how open and friendly everyone was.

Around 11:00 ended up by the Smell My Pit team and ended up invited in by them. They were extremely gracious, explaining what they were doing and why, letting us taste everything they were cooking.

We also were fortunate enough to get a taste of Lucky's Q pulled pork and brisket. Both were delicious, but the brisket was out of this world.

Again, a wonderful event, and everyone we talked to said it was amazing for a first time event. We'll be back next year.

As a side note, was in Madison this past weekend, and my son took me to UW Provisions and we each picked up an 11 pound prime brisket. I think I know what I'm doing Memorial Day weekend. :-D

Back