2015 King of the Smoker

DUBBAGA

is One Chatty Farker
Congrats to the following teams who were selected to participate in the 2015 King of the Smoker

3 Eyz BBQ
Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Que
Big T'z BBQ
Blazen BBQ
Buffalo's BBQ
Clark Crew BBQ
Cool Smoke
Gettin' Basted
Grills Gone Wild Iowa
Iowa's Smokey D's BBQ
Jambo Pits
Jo-Bawb's BBQ
Little Pig Town
Pig Skin BBQ
Shake 'n Bake BBQ
Simply Marvelous BBQ
Smoke Me Silly BBQ Team
Smokeaholics
Smokin' Triggers
Spitfire
The American Dream BBQ Team
Tim's Full Belli Deli
Warren County Pork Choppers
Yellow River BBQ

I wish you all safe travels, and look forward to seeing you on Saturday

Thank you Sterling for bringing this premiere event to California. The only name I wish to have been included was Big Poppa Smokers - congrats on your excellent year in 2015
smileys-winner-268658.gif

I've been to the last 2 and I am farking ticked that I'll be out of town this weekend and missing this one. What a great event. Folks in the SoCal area should go check it out. It is quite a thing of beauty.

Nothing but good I've heard about this contest
Note that it is a perfect number of 24 teams where every judge tastes every meat from every team. :thumb: Go Big Poppa for setting the standard for the true elite contest!

I'd attend this as a spectator if it were nearby. Anything planned to allow remote spectating?

What they've done in the past, and I assume what they're doing again this year, is allow the public in after turn ins. Then the cooks give talks about different subjects. They also give samples. Operation BBQ Relief vends food that the comp cooks have made. With the caliber of teams that are there, the talks, the samples, and the vending are all out of this farking world. Not to mention this takes place in a beautiful desert oasis type setting. It's a great event to say the least.

What they've done in the past, and I assume what they're doing again this year, is allow the public in after turn ins. Then the cooks give talks about different subjects. They also give samples. Operation BBQ Relief vends food that the comp cooks have made. With the caliber of teams that are there, the talks, the samples, and the vending are all out of this farking world. Not to mention this takes place in a beautiful desert oasis type setting. It's a great event to say the least.

Right. But wondering whether any of that (particularly the team presentations, but also awards, etc.) are going to be available somewhere on the Internet. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to hop on a plane to be there in-person, but that's not in the cards this year.

Hats off to Sterling and his gang for putting on one of the most prestigious and premier events in BBQ. This is not an easy task i assure you.

Right. But wondering whether any of that (particularly the team presentations, but also awards, etc.) are going to be available somewhere on the Internet. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to hop on a plane to be there in-person, but that's not in the cards this year.

Gotcha - the "remote" word just registered in what's left of my brain. I don't know anything about streaming. I remember there was a camera crew at the one 2 years ago, but not sure what came of the footage. I don't recall if there were cameras or not last year.

I remember there was a camera crew at the one 2 years ago, but not sure what came of the footage. I don't recall if there were cameras or not last year.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NGFN99rUqk"]2014 King of the Smoker BBQ Competition: Presented by Big Poppa Smokers - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxD_HiIbY60"]2013 King of the Smoker, presented by: Big Poppa Smokers - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEG0n8VIQSM"]2012 King Of The Smoker - Presented By: Big Poppa Smokers - YouTube[/ame]

They have great production quality. I would love to see a KOS feature on Destination America similar to the way they hand the Kingsford Invitational

Wow,

What other 24 team contest could boast having 9 of the KCBS Top 10 teams of the country present? Add to that, each of the Top 2 - 4 in each category in attendance, and each of the #1 teams giving mini classes - amazing.

The entire day had me in awe of the talent surrounding me. Every time I turned around there was someone that I have so much respect for. This event is the BBQ equivalent of a pro-sports all-star game. Most amazingly was the quality of the people. Each and every one of the teams was friendly, welcoming, and showed true appreciation for being in attendance.

Sterling, his awesome crew from BPS/Ernie Ball, Arlie Bragg, La Quinta Resort, Vito from Deloitte (never seen such a fun accountant) and our KCBS Reps Kelly and Kathleen McIntosh kept things running seamlessly.

I am looking forward to hearing the cook teams' reviews on the judging balance at this event, as this could conceivably be used as a "proof of concept" model for the future. Being a 4 table event, 3 of the 4 tables awarded the #1 category finishers, and the spread from top to bottom was pretty even.

Can't wait to see Jim Bloomfield's photos, as he is a stud with the camera. Until that happens, here are the very limited ones I got

Chris Lilly - Big Bob Gibson BBQ
100_2639.jpg

Dan Hixon - 3 Eyz BBQ and Shane Vaughan from Snake River Farms (I think Shane came to CA trying to get some movie roles, was looking way too cool for BBQ)
100_2640.jpg

Annella Kelso from Snake River Farms - the Wagyu Queen
100_2642.jpg

"The Professor" - can't begin to imagine how awesome his classes must be, just based on listening to him for 20min
100_2644.jpg

Travis Clark - Clark Crew BBQ (KCBS #1 Overall)
100_2646.jpg

Brad Leighninger - Gettin' Basted (KCBS #1 Chicken) ... awesome talking to you Brad. Hanging chicken quarters on the Gateway Drum - thing of beauty!
100_2648.jpg

100_2650.jpg

Tim Scheer - Shake N Bake (KCBS #1 Ribs)
100_2651.jpg

"The Godfather"
100_2652.jpg

Sterling Ball - Big Poppa Smokers ... host, visionary, inspiration
100_2653.jpg

BokBokBokBocock
100_2657.jpg

Scott Kee - Little Pig Town (1st in Pork and Brisket, and the 2015 King of the Smoker Grand Champion)
100_2663.jpg

What an awesome event! The mini classes were great and I learned some nice tips. The level of competition was like no other.

Back