The great smoker rib-off…almost.

Thanks RacrX on your great comparison bbq grill cook off. On your Pit Boss spare rib cook, you should have ran the starting temp on the Pit Boss grill at 200* degrees or even lower for the first couple of hours and then bumped up the temp to 250* degrees to finish, for the best smoke production from that grill. I know it was a kind of Apples to Apples comparison with the temp settings, but each grill is different. I’ll say this, and your comparison bbq cook proved it, is that Pellet Grills can make some “great looking” bbq, but the lack of a distinct and flavorful smoke flavor profile when compared to other Smokers is it’s Achilles heel. Starting set temps is a major factor when bbqing on pellet grills. Any temps above 250* degrees from most pellet grills is almost like using an oven. Even temps at 225* degrees in most cases still does not produce a great level of smoke when compared to a Off-Set Smoker, a GF type smoker or the LSG IVC. Great comparison test cook though and great information for anyone considering the pros and cons of a pellet grill. To bad about your CG 980…. Hopefully it’s just simple growing pains that can be easily corrected. Would the CG 980 even fire back up or was it completely without power? If the Masterbuilt GF Grills or the Char-Griller GF 980 were available 2-3 years ago, I would’ve bought one before buying my pellet grill. The Smoke Flavor Profile from the combination of real hardwood and charcoal is something that even 100% wood type pellets can’t compete against. Imho… Can a pellet grill be modified to produce real hardwood and charcoal smoke? Yes, with some extra effort. Again, RacrX, thank you for a great comparison bbq and keep us posted on the mechanical issue with the CG 980. Great work.

Interesting, have they been responsive getting a new one to you?

Crossing my fingers I don't hit this bug. Have 18 people coming over for July 4th, will not be pleased if it goes south for that cook.

They've been good about it so far. Yeah, that could happen.

Thanks RacrX on your great comparison bbq grill cook off. On your Pit Boss spare rib cook, you should have ran the starting temp on the Pit Boss grill at 200* degrees or even lower for the first couple of hours and then bumped up the temp to 250* degrees to finish, for the best smoke production from that grill. I know it was a kind of Apples to Apples comparison with the temp settings, but each grill is different. I’ll say this, and your comparison bbq cook proved it, is that Pellet Grills can make some “great looking” bbq, but the lack of a distinct and flavorful smoke flavor profile when compared to other Smokers is it’s Achilles heel. Starting set temps is a major factor when bbqing on pellet grills. Any temps above 250* degrees from most pellet grills is almost like using an oven. Even temps at 225* degrees in most cases still does not produce a great level of smoke when compared to a Off-Set Smoker, a GF type smoker or the LSG IVC. Great comparison test cook though and great information for anyone considering the pros and cons of a pellet grill. To bad about your CG 980…. Hopefully it’s just simple growing pains that can be easily corrected. Would the CG 980 even fire back up or was it completely without power? If the Masterbuilt GF Grills or the Char-Griller GF 980 were available 2-3 years ago, I would’ve bought one before buying my pellet grill. The Smoke Flavor Profile from the combination of real hardwood and charcoal is something that even 100% wood type pellets can’t compete against. Imho… Can a pellet grill be modified to produce real hardwood and charcoal smoke? Yes, with some extra effort. Again, RacrX, thank you for a great comparison bbq and keep us posted on the mechanical issue with the CG 980. Great work.

Hey thanks! Good to know about the pellet cookers for sure.

On the CG, it has power but it runs for a few seconds, then throws the code and shuts itself down. Been in contact with CG and they said it is likely a controller issue, they've seen it before. We shall see when they ship a new one.

I had the MB before this and I can say there is no comparison in terms of build quality, the CG wins hands down. I believe it's just growing pains, even MB has a v2 out now with some upgrades.

On the CG, it has power but it runs for a few seconds, then throws the code and shuts itself down. Been in contact with CG and they said it is likely a controller issue, they've seen it before. We shall see when they ship a new one.

I had the MB before this and I can say there is no comparison in terms of build quality, the CG wins hands down. I believe it's just growing pains, even MB has a v2 out now with some upgrades.

Did you pull the fan unit to see if the fan melted? Sounds like that's happened to a few guys when the fan flap (seems like it might be a weak point) has melted.

FYI.. Not sure if you’ve seen this already. This was posted on Char-Griller’s website in their Gravity 980 FAQ’s section. Technical Troubleshooting Error codes.

Quote… Erf Fan Malfunction.

1)Unplug the grill power supply.

2) Check the connection of the fan unit at both the controller and fan.

3) Check to make sure no ashes or debris are blocking the fan / stuck in the fan.

4) Plug the grill power supply back in.

5) If error persists, contact Char-Griller customer service to replace fan. https://www.chargriller.com/pages/gravity-faqs
From what I’m reading, it sounds very likely, just a loose/bad wire connection or a faulty fan and not the Controller. Whatever it is, I hope it all gets figured out quickly for you. Good luck

Last edited:
Did you pull the fan unit to see if the fan melted? Sounds like that's happened to a few guys when the fan flap (seems like it might be a weak point) has melted.

FYI.. Not sure if you’ve seen this already. This was posted on Char-Griller’s website in their Gravity 980 FAQ’s section. Technical Troubleshooting Error codes.

Quote… Erf Fan Malfunction.

1)Unplug the grill power supply.

2) Check the connection of the fan unit at both the controller and fan.

3) Check to make sure no ashes or debris are blocking the fan / stuck in the fan.

4) Plug the grill power supply back in.

5) If error persists, contact Char-Griller customer service to replace fan. https://www.chargriller.com/pages/gravity-faqs
From what I’m reading, it sounds very likely, just a loose/bad wire connection or a faulty fan and not the Controller. Whatever it is, I hope it all gets figured out quickly for you. Good luck

Yes, I went through all of those checks before I wrote to them. Seems like the controller is the only thing left.

Yes, I went through all of those checks before I wrote to them. Seems like the controller is the only thing left.

RacrX, do you have any updates on the situation with your Char Griller 980 GF Grill not staying on/Erf Fan code? Did the new controller solve the problem or was it something else. I just picked one myself, so I want to know of any possible issues ahead of time that I can correct. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Back