Test Runs with Ribs

Jlems

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Justin
Wondering what you pros do when trying out new recipes? I need to run through some changes to my rib recipes and have a bunch of ideas to try, and was thinking of splitting by spares in half to cut the cost. Anyone done this? Is cook time affected at all or does this come out close enough for a test run and then when dialing in on something promising I could switch to a whole rack?

I'm not a pro by any means but cutting your flats in half will not change the cooking much. The ends will be doubled, so you will yield fewer "prized" ribs. Tell us how they turn out.

Thanks West River. This was the way to go. Was able to test multiple variations at once and the timing as you stated was fairly normal. Glad I did it this way since 3 of the 4 were not up to expectations. Really fast tracked the process.

when working on rub/sauce combos, I would buy a loin, cut it into thick pork chops and test different variations of rub/sauce combos. Then me and the wife/kids would eat the experiments for dinner.

From there I would narrow it down to a couple of options. I usually cook 2-3 racks of ribs at a time. I would use the different rub/sauce combos on each rack.

Hope this helps

Back