Test Cook in Warmer before the Big Charity Cook

Hotch

Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Hotch
I've been asked to cook 12 butts and 6 briskets in my Shirley 24x42. With only a 2 shelf main chamber and a 3 shelf warmer I'll be cooking the briskets in the main and butts in the warmer. I have not cooked in the warmer yet. Have only used it to keep sticks warm and a few panned items. So this test cook was to see what it would take to make it happen.
Since all of the proteins will be chopped I decided to go hot and fast. For this cook I had 2 racks of BB's in the main (Lunch for us) and a 11lb bone-in on the middle rack in the warmer.
Loaded the fire box with 20lb of Lazzari Mesquite lump. I get this at RD for $14 a 40lb bag.Then lit her up and waited till she was running steady at the pre-cook temp. I kept a chart of the cook so I could look back at what I did throughout the cook. I took the ribs off after keeping the MC at a steady temp of about 300. Then concentrated on the warmer temp while maintaining 300 in the MC. I know from the advice I got that the cook time will be longer with a full cooker. So I will be starting about 3-4 hours sooner than I originally planned with a longer hold/cushion time.
I took the butt off and FTC for about and hour then just tented with foil for about 45 minutes.
Shelly chopped the butt and seasoned it with It's My Rub Smooth Blend, Salt and Pepper. All of which I ran through the spice grinder to a powder as recommended, and mixed into the final pan. I also added a bit of apple cider vinegar to brighten it up.
Thanks go to my Brethren friends Scott (Thatgrimguy), Jason TQ and Diesel Dave for all of their advice, insight and knowledge.

Charity_Test_Cook_in_Warmer_1-28-2018.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

The Smoke device it the main chamber temp and the Chef Alarm is the warmer temp.
IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

Nothing better than good ole white bread for sammies!! :mrgreen:

IMG_0663.jpg

Thanks for looking! :mrgreen:

did you ever get the temps close in the MC and the warmer?

I believe I could but the mission was to be 300 in the MC and 325 or higher in the warmer. The MC did spike to 325+ a few times when adding Big sticks. I then would trim the exhaust stack back to drop the temp. Worked great with the warmer running wide open and not choke the fire.
It was a big lesson in fire management. This being my first stick burner.
That said, I have to applaud Both Paul and Tyler for building the best cooker period!
Thanks guys! :mrgreen:

Awesomeness! The cookers are so versatile it makes stuff like this easy. I'm looking forward to your actual event!

We have on coming in march and I'm starting to plan as well. Need to take some notes on your note taking and efficiency :-D........instead of just winging it :becky:

Awesomeness! The cookers are so versatile it makes stuff like this easy. I'm looking forward to your actual event!

We have on coming in march and I'm starting to plan as well. Need to take some notes on your note taking and efficiency :-D........instead of just winging it :becky:
Thanks so much for your advice. It really help me to get this done!
Along with Scott's (Thatgrimguy) input about his cook this past Saturday on the Grocery Cart.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1211470/227lbs-of-butt/p1

Scott is truly an amazing person for all that he does to give back to his community!!

Nice cook is that Montgomery Inn BBQ Sauce from the Cincy OH area? We love eating there when visit my sister there. Did you bring that sauce back or order it online? Sorry for the on/off topic question.

Nice cook is that Montgomery Inn BBQ Sauce from the Cincy OH area? We love eating there when visit my sister there. Did you bring that sauce back or order it online? Sorry for the on/off topic question.

Thanks. I believe I got that in a rub and sauce exchange over on the EggHead forum. Good stuff right there! :mrgreen:

nice looking pork shoulder.

I do love the data gathering- I believe it leads to better cooks.

Im surprised the warmer is hotter than the main chamber

Back