Tasty German Patties Recipe

Finally got around to making Königsberger Klopse from The German Cookbook, by Mimi Sheraton. Capers are in the sauce but not really visible in photo. Garnished with scallion and served with side of warm sauerkraut. I made the recipe with anchovies, lemon zest and everything the authentic recipe calls for.

14cadsj.jpg

Tastes awesome! I put some heavy cream and sour cream in at the end along with a squeeze of lemon juice.

So for under $2 total it makes enough easily for 2 - 4 people.

Tasty German Patties
[Serves 6-8; makes 16 thin patties]

I'm assuming that you altered the the amount of ingredients for your recipe? 16 2oz patties will not feed the germanic horde i am familiar with. your 2-4 person estimate seems much more accurate. can't wait to try this. thanks.

Thanks for posting this. I think I will get a copy of the cookbook. The gravy sounds like it would taste like stroganoff (love the stuff) with the sour cream in it.

Good job:thumb::thumb: Would you have a good German Brat, recipe?
Thanks DanB

From The German Cookbook -- I've made this a couple times and it is really good. Instead of tossing the beer as in Beer Brats, you actually reduce the light beer / ale and thicken it into a gravy. 2 brats in an ale gravy.

Bratwurst in Ale

INGREDIENTS

4 Bratwurst
boiling water to cover
1 tbsp butter
1 bay leaf
1 can ale or light beer
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp minced onion
4 tsp white flour
salt and pepper
lemon

DIRECTIONS

Prick bratwurst on all sides with a fork. Place in a large skillet with a cover and add enough boiling water to cover. Cover skillet and simmer three minutes. Drain off water. Add 2 tablespoons butter to skillet and brown wurst quickly on all sides. Add bay leaf and enough ale to cover the sausages. Cover bring to a boil reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove cover and let it all boil rapidly until it is reduced by almost half. Reduce heat and simmer.

Melt butter in a small skillet and sauté minced onion until golden brown. Blend in flour and sauté slowly until mixture is the color of cocoa. Add to the simmering ale and stir in until smoothly blended and thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper, add a little lemon and sugar if you like a sweet-sour flavor.

Thanks for sharing a proven recipe. Definitely bookmarking this baby. Does the cookbook have recipe for the gravy?

Here is the recipe from the book for Konigsberger Klopse, made a couple small changes to it to make it more low carb using almond flour instead of bread, adjusting the salt to an acceptable level (was way too little). Also the recipe below is scaled down a bit, from what is in the book, for my smaller family. I use 1 lb total meat, instead of 1 1/2 pounds. So I scaled it down to 2/3rds of original. Also if you had veal you could use 1/3rd veal, 1/3rd pork butt, 1/3rd ground beef. I don't usually have it (hard to find) and well I just always use 50/50 pork/beef.

INGREDIENTS

1/2 lb ground pork
1/2 lb ground beef
4 tbsp almond flour (book uses 2 stale bread slices soaked and wrung out)
1 small sized onion
4 anchovies
1 1/2 eggs
2 tsp minced parsley
grated rind of one lemon
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 cups beef or veal broth
Sauce:
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp minced onion
2-3 tbsp flour
2 tbsp capers
sour cream to taste (optional)
lemon juice to taste (optional)
(Side:)
warmed sauerkraut

DESCRIPTION

The piquant meat dumplings are served along the sauerkraut and are a favorite main course in Berlin and Prussia.

DIRECTIONS

Thoroughly mix meat, almond flour (book uses bread), onion, anchovies, egg, parsley, lemon zest, salt and pepper together in a bowl - kneading it. Do not taste this mixture for seasoning, as it contains raw pork. With wet hands shape mixture into balls about the size of lemons and cook in boiling veal or beef stock. Try a test dumpling before you cook the rest of the batter. Cook for 15 minutes. Then melt butter in a skillet, add minced onion and let brown slowly; stir in flour. Let brown slowly until it is the color of cocoa. Add this Einbrenne to stock, stir through and let dumplings cook in this thickened sauce for another 15 minutes. Add capers for the last five minutes of cooking time. In Bavaria, sour cream is stirred into the sauce just before it is served. Optionally add a bit of lemon juice to sauce to desired tanginess. Serve on mound of cooked sauerkraut, page 276.

NOTES

Adapted from The German Cookbook, page 216. Substituted almond flour for bread, and adjusted salt to be reasonably adequate.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. I think I will get a copy of the cookbook. The gravy sounds like it would taste like stroganoff (love the stuff) with the sour cream in it.

The gravy is insanely good. A slightly different flavor than stroganoff since it has some anchovie and capers in it. But very piquant yeah.. Mmmm.

You can get the book for a few dollars used from Amazon.com, that's what I did.

Thanks but i was looking for a home made recipe. I was in Germany for 2 years US Army..I had some of the best bratwurst ever, problem is can't find anything close to them! I tried some premixed ones didn't come close.
Thanks DanB

From The German Cookbook -- I've made this a couple times and it is really good. Instead of tossing the beer as in Beer Brats, you actually reduce the light beer / ale and thicken it into a gravy. 2 brats in an ale gravy.

Bratwurst in Ale

INGREDIENTS

4 Bratwurst
boiling water to cover
1 tbsp butter
1 bay leaf
1 can ale or light beer
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp minced onion
4 tsp white flour
salt and pepper
lemon

DIRECTIONS

Prick bratwurst on all sides with a fork. Place in a large skillet with a cover and add enough boiling water to cover. Cover skillet and simmer three minutes. Drain off water. Add 2 tablespoons butter to skillet and brown wurst quickly on all sides. Add bay leaf and enough ale to cover the sausages. Cover bring to a boil reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove cover and let it all boil rapidly until it is reduced by almost half. Reduce heat and simmer.

Melt butter in a small skillet and sauté minced onion until golden brown. Blend in flour and sauté slowly until mixture is the color of cocoa. Add to the simmering ale and stir in until smoothly blended and thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper, add a little lemon and sugar if you like a sweet-sour flavor.

Back