Tasty German Patties Recipe

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
I created the following recipe, using the meatballs recipe in "The German Cookbook" (highly rated book for authenticity), as a guideline. (That recipe in the book is called "Konigsberger Klopse" -- p. 216.)

It's pretty darn delicious! Just ate some right now -- after I did my last tweak, and I'm really happy with it. They have a nice/comforting salisbury steak-like texture.

Great thing about this recipe is that it uses a 50% beef / 50% pork mixture, which only cost me a combined total of $1.59 pound; (I used beef brisket at $2.19/lb and pork butt at $0.99 a pound.) So for under $2 total it makes enough easily for 2 - 4 people.

Tasty German Patties
[Serves 6-8; makes 16 thin patties]
1 pound finely ground beef
1 pound finely ground pork butt
1 egg
6 tbsp bread crumbs (I used Great Value Plain Bread Crumbs)
1 tsp fish sauce (best is three crabs brand -- got mine at Asian market)
1/2 tsp lemon oil (you can buy a bottle of this on the cheap in baking isle)
2 tbsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
4 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp salt

Regarding the fish sauce, the book uses anchovies; I substituted this in because it works and is much more affordable. I suppose it might taste better with anchovies -- I'll try it some day.

Regarding the lemon oil, the book uses freshly grated lemon zest. I didn't have any lemons on hand and always have the lemon oil up in the cupboard (I think I got the bottle of it for only a $1 -- it's cheap). Gives it a nice lemony flavor similar to the oil that comes from the zest. I'll try with lemon zest in the near future to see how much better it is.

Directions:
Combine/knead everything together in a mixing bowl for a good while, ensuring everything is combined well and until the mixture is well emulsified.

Divide the meat mixture evenly into 16 portions, and form each into a thin 3" or so diameter patty -- they form easily and hold together well. Being this thin, they fry up fast and brown nicely.

Idea: Serve with some mashed potatoes & beef gravy. The beef gravy should have some caraway seeds in it along with some capers put in at the end. At the very end of the gravy, just before serving mix in a couple dollops or so of sour cream (optional). Note: when making the gravy, if you like, you can sit the meat patties in it to absorb the gravy and to release into the gravy. Also, make sure to the use the pan you fried the patties in for starting the gravy to get that extra residual flavor from the pan.

Enjoy -- let me know how it tastes if you decide to make them.

Last edited:
This sounds great! I'm always looking for new things to scratch the appetite of the German portion of my heritage. Thanks for the recipe and book recommend!

Thanks for the recipe and book recommend!

The book goes for $30 new from Amazon, but I bought a used copy from Amazon.

Link to the book:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/German-Cookbook-Complete-Mastering-Authentic/dp/0394401387"]The German Cookbook: A Complete Guide to Mastering Authentic German Cooking: Mimi Sheraton: 9780394401386: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51QwWKOo-hL.@@AMEPARAM@@51QwWKOo-hL[/ame]

EDIT: after looking closer, the new one is the 50th Anniversary Edition (I don't have that one). It's the same looking book and I don't know if any of the text has changed at all. The one I have is the 1993 edition. I actually only paid $7.30 plus $3.99 shipping for mine (from Amazon). The binding on my edition is sewn and holding up well -- I don't know about the binding on the new edition but a lot of publishers are going cheap these days and only gluing, causing the books to fall apart -- soo annoying.

Just fried up the last batch and taste tested again. I can't get over how far 1 pound of meat stretches with this recipe, and how zesty & savory they are along with that heart warming comfortable salisbury steak -like texture. :) And that Mallard reaction / Caramelization really adds to it, since they brown so easily with the bread crumbs and egg in it.

1zywpbk.jpg

This sounds great, I would love to try this, but I need some help first. I have a seafood allergy so fish sauce and anchovies are out, any substitutes anyone could recommend?

This sounds great, I would love to try this, but I need some help first. I have a seafood allergy so fish sauce and anchovies are out, any substitutes anyone could recommend?

Replace the fish sauce with 1/2 tsp of salt or maybe a little more (salt to taste). You could try 1/2 tsp then take a pinch of it and fry it up and then taste it -- add more salt if needed or just sprinkle on.

Got me with the photos. I'm German on my dad's side, and I love the food. This recipe looks delicious. I usually have all the ingredients in the house, too, so it will end up being a go-to. Thanks for the recipe!

I made this tonight following your recipe to a T. It was great!! Whipped up a quick gravy with the added sour cream like you suggested and mashed taters. Really, really tasty! To me it was a great, hearty, and quick meal during the work week. Will definitely be making again. Thanks for the recipe bbggeekess!!

I made this tonight following your recipe to a T. It was great!! Whipped up a quick gravy with the added sour cream like you suggested and mashed taters. Really, really tasty! To me it was a great, hearty, and quick meal during the work week. Will definitely be making again. Thanks for the recipe bbggeekess!!

You're very welcome. I am too surprised how great a taste you get for little money and little investment in time. :)

Just for reference, what were the original amounts for the lemon zest and anchovies? And also, are those amounts for the 2# batch you made? Thanks!

Just for reference, what were the original amounts for the lemon zest and anchovies? And also, are those amounts for the 2# batch you made? Thanks!

Let me check.. grated rind of one lemon and 5 anchovies.

Regarding the second question, those amounts are for 1 1/2 pounds of meat but they use more eggs and soaked and wrung out bread.. so it's probably equivalent to 2 pounds. (The mixture for meatballs is very wet and they are cooked by dropping them into beef broth like dumplings -- I just used the recipe as a guideline for these burgers .. umm but you could sub in 5 anchovies and rind of one lemon for the 2 lbs of meat .. it might work.)

Just for reference, what were the original amounts for the lemon zest ..
Tried the zest of one lemon tonight (for 2 pounds of meat) instead of the lemon oil, it tastes right (the amount).

I made as meatballs tonight using my patties recipe above as is. I browned them first in a fry pan -- which I think is a nice flavorful personal touch vs. just plopping them in the stock as dumplings -- then added to the beef stock with some caraway seed. Simmered for about 15 minutes. Added plenty of capers and thickened it up with a tallow roux. At the end before serving I stirred in a couple large dollops of sour cream. Served over egg noodles. Very comforting, yum. :)

(The beef stock I made earlier with some beef ribs that had hardly any meat on them.. the bits of meat made for a nice treat earlier in the day for the dog and me.)

Tried the zest of one lemon tonight (for 2 pounds of meat) instead of the lemon oil, it tastes right (the amount).

I made as meatballs tonight using my recipe above as is. I browned them first in a fry pan -- which I think is a nice flavorful personal touch vs. just plopping them in the stock as dumplings -- then added to the beef stock with some caraway seed. Simmered for about 15 minutes. Added plenty of capers and thickened it up with a tallow roux. At the end before serving I stirred in a couple large dollops of sour cream. Served over egg noodles. PURE BLISS :)
Oh. My. Gawsh. STOP!!!

:becky:

Just made the patties again today. So amazingly good I cannot get over it -- about nothing tastes better than these; anything else can only be equally as good. I feel so good after eating them too for some reason.

Creamy, umami, savory, tangy, texture is heavenly. I really like how it tastes with just the cheap fish sauce and lemon oil (instead of anchovies and lemon zest).

I followed my recipe as listed above and it works perfectly every time.

Back