TALKIN' TURKEY!! (The official/unofficial turkey thread)

I'll be cooking two 12-13 pound turkeys. Will brine in homemade brine (salt, sugar, rosemary and a crapload of satsuma oranges because I have them) for 24 hours. Rest in the fridge for about 36 hours for the skin to dry, season with rosemary, thyme, oregano and a little Tony's, then into the smoker. Did this last year and it was the best turkey I ever ate. The Big Easy air fryer will sit empty.

Does it make sense to do a dry brine followed by injecting? For example, use harvest brine followed by Tony cs injection? Too much salt? As an alternative, should I just dry brine with Tony cs creole seasoning?

Seems like overkill to me. Have used Harvest Brine and the flavor balance was so good I'd be afraid to add something that might take away from that fine flavor.

I'd brine for at least a day, and maybe 2 days. Get the Turkey on Monday or Tuesday if going fresh if that's an option.

Can rub be used after brining with Harvest brine? Is Harvest brine sufficient? Any tips? Im doing the same with a 6lb boneless turkey breast. Thinking texas style. Any one have a good recipe?

Thanks Wampus! Smoked mine today!

A little over 10 lb turkey went on the smoker today, Wampus style! I used BBQRs Delight Contest Mix (50/50 Pecan/Cherry) pellets in the Yoder. Started at 180 to get some smoke, then after about 45 minutes kicked it up to 375 for the rest of the cook. Haven't done a turkey for awhile. I really like how it turned out!

Attachments

• IMG_20201128_205817042.jpg
    IMG_20201128_205817042.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Got a twentyfivepounder going on the WSM. Something like the fifth or sixth year in a row I've smoked one?
I've kept notes each year to ensure the 'done' time is before, or LONG before we're ready to eat.
My tips to the newbs? Would be to rest it, upside down, in a cooler in a nest of towels.
This keeps it hot for HOURS, and also lets the juice run back into to the breasts (insert joke here). Obviously, I put foil between the bird and towels. Nobody wants lint on their food. Just for grins, I leave the temp probe in there while it's resting. Neat how long it'll stay hot.
Hope that helps!

Looks like I get to cook the Turkey this year (usually at a Relatives house for the Thanksgiving Celebration, staying home this year).

Bought a small Turkey (right at about 11 pounds)

Mad Max?
Smoked?
Spatchcocked?
Rotisserie?

Decisions, decisions.

Let me think….. (insert video clip from Enter the Dragon here :mrgreen:)

Gonna brine it for between 14-18 hours, no other firm decisions, but leaning towards a Rotisserie at this point. (Weber Kettle, or Joetisserie on BGE?)

Anyone have a good brine?
Mine's just a simple mix of kosher salt, brown sugar and some rosemary.
Honestly, I think I'll leave the rosemary out. Mainly because it looks weird having "dried twigs and sticks" on the bird.

I save what lands in the drip pan. One, for the gravy mix, two, for freezing for later use.
Here's what I put in the drip pan:
- Half gallon water
- 1/4 cup bacon grease
- 1/2 stick butter
- One onion, quartered
- One head garlic
- TBS ground pepper

Sorry guys. Most of this thread is people showing their cooking skills
I have a technique question
I have a 25lb. turkey to smoke
What temp should I use and how long to cook?
I’m thinking 300* for 5 hours?
Thanks

Sorry guys. Most of this thread is people showing their cooking skills
I have a technique question
I have a 25lb. turkey to smoke
What temp should I use and how long to cook?
I’m thinking 300* for 5 hours?
Thanks

Well, since you asked... With humble intension, I submit my unedited, unredacted, raw, and highly unorganized "t-day turkey smoke notepad".
These are my notes to myself (and nobody else) meant to make my family the perfect turkey.
The notes suck, there's a lot of missing info from year to year.
But, I've had rave reviews every year.
Please remember, this is my "diary", which allows me to learn and grow every time. Seems last year I was lazy and didn't take notes. :roll:
Enjoy.

----------------

============

21# bird. Bag of Kingsford, rainy, slight breeze (5mph). 40 degrees ambient.
Bird on at 9am breast temp 40 degrees.

9:00... "GO!!!"
11:00 grate temp 275, IT 110, ambient 47.
11:30 grate temp 300, IT 127, ambient 48.
1:00 grate temp 277, IT 160, ambient 50.
1:45 grate temp 275, IT 165, ambient 51.

Pulled bird. Put into large cooler with two towels as a "nest" lined with heavy duty foil (three layers)
laid bird upside down in order to juices to flow back into "top" (breast).
One more towel on top. Lid on.

By 3:00, IT went to 167, then back down to 165.
It 'rested' for over an hour and held temp.

================

20# bird. On at 11am. Ambient is 50, grate temp is 250.
Cherry wood and Kingsford.
----------
= Brined about 14 hours:
1.5 cups Kosher
1.5 cups brown sugar
------------
= Drip pans:
Kosher
Butter
Onion
------------
11:00am bird on.
IT = 42
Pit = ?
------------
12:00pm
IT = 63
Pit = 252
------------
1:30pm
IT = 111
Pit 284
---------
2:30
IT = 129
Pit = 260
----------
Weather: 47 degrees, fairly breezy and heavy rain.
Opened lower valves in attempt to slightly to raise pit temp.
----------
3:10
IT = 142
Pit = 275 Have been adding handfuls of cherry 'flavor' to keep the fuel going and raise pit temp..
Cools temps, steady rain, and slightly breezy wind is consuming fuel.
May have over-smoked meat adding cherry chips to fire. Wasn't enough to raise pit temp much.
---------
4:00 -- crunch time. Dinner is scheduled to be at 5:00.
IT - 147 - Brought turkey into house, and set oven at 300. dammit.
---------
5:00 -- bird has been in the oven at 350 "pit" {oven}. (cause 300 wasn't enough)
IT - 158
--------
Taken out of oven about 5:30. 'rested' upside down in cooler.
6.5 hours is a bit long, but tasted great and looked great.

================

50 degree ambient
18# bird
16# bag Kingford, two handfuls of cherry chunks

16 hour brine:
- 2 gallons water
- One 'twig' of rosemary
- 1.5 cups Kosher
- 1.5 cups brown sugar
- One head garlic

Drip pan:
- Half gallon water
- 1/4 cup bacon grease
- 1/2 stick butter
- One onion, quartered
- One head garlic
- TBS ground pepper

Bird on at 10:00
Grate temp at 280 bird at 39 degrees

12:00 - Two hours in.
IT is 98, grate is 289, ambient is 58
Foiled the wings and "hind section" to stop browning.

3:30, IT is 165, ambient is 61, grate is 309.
5 hours, 30 minutes. Done.
Based on color, it should have been foiled halfway through. It looks good, but a bit too dark (for my taste).
TASTED VERY GOOD!!!
================
2016;
- 50 ambient temp, no wind. - 11# turkey
- One 16# bag cheap charcoal. Occasional handfuls of hickory chunks.
- WSM vents at about 10% top vent 100% - running at 250.
- Bird on at 12:30
- At 3:00 the breast I.T. is 138, pit at 275
- 4:45 breast temp is 165.
- loosely foiled, and pulled from pit. Pit temp was 250.
- Done. Tasted great. Tina said it was perfect, not "too much" smoke.

=================

2015;
45 degree ambient temp, slight breeze, raining entire time.
One 16# bag cheapo charcoal. Two pounds cherry wood 'flavor'.
Lit fire at 5:45am, turkey on at 7:00am. Pit temp steady at 250.
Didn't mention what the bird weighs!?!?!

- Smoker temp swung to 320 in first two hours (was trying to compensate for weather). Don't do it like that again!
- Shut down bottom vents to 10% and top vent to 50%.
- Pit temp steady at 190 for the remainder of cook. (Meal time WAAAYY far away, trying to go very slow)
- Skin is perfect color. Foiled entire bird at 11:00am.
- 165 in thigh, 160 in breast, six hours exactly. Done.

It's 1:00pm. Meal time goal is 5:00pm (obviously done way too soon).

- Pulled. Put into pre-warmed large cooler with four beach towels in a 'nest' shape.
- Lay bird upside down in foil 'nest', wrap foil over top.
- Put three beach towels on top. Close lid. Temp probes still in thigh and breast and ambient cooler temp.
- 4:30 and breast temp is still @ 132.
- Ate at 6:00, forgot to check the internal temp, but it was warm enough to serve. Surprisingly pink inside...must have faith in the thermometer.

So we’re talking about aiming for 275*? About 5 hours?
Yea, with quite a few variable, like ambient temp and how many times you 'peek', and size of bird being the largest factors. But those are safe numbers.
Like I mentioned, I'd rather "hold", than rush. Properly held, they can rest for hours.

Yea, with quite a few variable, like ambient temp and how many times you 'peek', and size of bird being the largest factors. But those are safe numbers.
Like I mentioned, I'd rather "hold", than rush. Properly held, they can rest for hours.

Thanks. It’s 25 pounds. I won’t peek. I just want to guess when to put it up to feed people at 3

I’m using a Weber summit charcoal. It holds temp pretty well

Also gonna use a mix of peach and hickory woods

smoker?

Hi Bob, Great notes, I keep a similar diary. One important thing missing is what you are cooking on. I've seen a wide range of times caused by different smokers.

1 14# turkey + 1 bag of Harvest Brine + CharBroil "Big Easy"+ 2.5hrs = TaDaa

bird is trussed, Harvest Brined, tightly wrapped and into the beer fridge until Thanksgiving morning :)

Last edited:
my mistake

Hi Bob, Great notes, I keep a similar diary. One important thing missing is what you are cooking on. I've seen a wide range of times caused by different smokers.

Oops, sorry. I now see in the 2016 note you were using a WSM.

12# bird, bag of harvest dry brine, all wrapped in frig for now. Will be using my Yoder 640 at 300 with a mix of pecan and apple. Turkey will be sitting upright on a "turkey cannon" but I'm not sure if it should be in a pan with some stock to collect juices or just place on rack let the juices flow out the bottom so as to have more air flow.

Back