TALKIN' TURKEY!! (The official/unofficial turkey thread)

im not gonna lie, but that looks super nasty. probably wouldnt go well in a smoker
I don't know, looks pretty damned good to me... Nice caramelized crispy skin.

Will see what happens. Family has known for years that I may experiment on a new dish or three.

Has anyone here ever smoked a turkey and once it was finished, poured hot oil on the skin? I tried googling this method but nothing useful comes up.

Seems like it would be sort of like pork "lechon kawali" and would make the skin super crispy while still keeping the rest of the turkey nice and tender.

Thoughts?

Has anyone here ever smoked a turkey and once it was finished, poured hot oil on the skin? I tried googling this method but nothing useful comes up.

Seems like it would be sort of like pork "lechon kawali" and would make the skin super crispy while still keeping the rest of the turkey nice and tender.

Thoughts?

Ive smoked it and then put it on a hot grill or in my oil less fryer to crisp up the skin. It kind of worked but not like frying in peanut oil.

Ive smoked it and then put it on a hot grill or in my oil less fryer to crisp up the skin. It kind of worked but not like frying in peanut oil.

i have no faith in getting crispy skin on poultry on my WSM 22. ive air dryed for 24 hours in the fridge and cooked at almost 500 degrees lol

Cheap (or Free) Turkeys at Kroger

Has anybody else seen this deal at Kroger.

Here in Richardson they have Kroger brand birds for .37 a pound (with $25 purchase) or Free (with $125 purchase). I just picked up a 14 pounder for TG paid about 5 bucks.

1st page bump....counting down the days until my Turkey smoke.

FYI Food Lion has turkeys on sale for .29# if anyone has one close by.

Thoughts?

A barbecue place in KC used to smoke half chickens and then deep fry them to order. Was incredibly tasty! Don't see why it wouldn't work with a whole bird

how good is this harvest brine? im looking to do a dry brine/injection on my wsm.

Planning on getting a fresh turkey and brining with Harvest Brine. Any opinions on when I should get it and how long to brine so I don't have any issue with it spoiling?

Planning on getting a fresh turkey and brining with Harvest Brine. Any opinions on when I should get it and how long to brine so I don't have any issue with it spoiling?

I'd brine for at least a day, and maybe 2 days. Get the Turkey on Monday or Tuesday if going fresh if that's an option.

I get my fresh bone-in turkey breasts on Tuesday after work and dry brine with Harvest Brine that night for smoking on Thanksgiving. Turns out great.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Does it make sense to do a dry brine followed by injecting? For example, use harvest brine followed by Tony cs injection? Too much salt? As an alternative, should I just dry brine with Tony cs creole seasoning?

I have a 12-13 pound turkey I’m going to pick up on Sunday plan to put harvest Brian on Monday can unwrap Thursday morning and let it sit in the fridge uncovered. Looking forward to it. If planning to inject creole seasoning ask Mike A.k.a. Happy Hapgood

I have a 16 pound bird and I'm brining with SuckleBusters Area 51 Bird Brine.

I'm going to spatchcock, rub, and smoke at 325. Looking at close to 3 hours. :-D

Back