THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bigreves

Full Fledged Farker
So I'm finally gonna turn this idea I've had into a meal. Before I get started I wanted to know if it sounds right or any ideas to make it better.
So first of all I don't think im using sausage...gonna be ground beef mixed with ground pork to keep it from drying out. I'll check the butcher to see if he has any Mexican type sausage if he does I'll throw some in. I wasn't planning on bacon wrapping, because u never really have bacon in tacos right? But what do u guys think, bacon or no bacon?
So once I got all this meat together I'm gonna hit it with a home made taco seasoning, crush up a bag of hard taco shells and mix that in with the meat.
Into the zip locks. ...flatten out like u would a fatty and now the fun starts..
Step one...cheese obviously. after that I'm thinking 2 soft flour tortillas....next some salsa...not sure if I should make a quick Pico or just use a store bought tostitos or old El paso salsa...?
More cheese, some jalapeños diced up, maybe diced tomato depending on what salsa I go with and some black beans....
Roll it up, seal the ends, let it smoke till done...
What do you think brethren?

When I tell Meskaroni about it, he tells me since I'm not using sausage it's not a fatty, just a meatloaf :mad:

I go with Pico to much moisture will cause a blowout. I'd go with crushed up Fritos instead of maze tortillas as they will get mushy like an undercooked tamalli.

I like the idea of bacon on my taco...I gotta try that soon...:biggrin1:

A fatty can be whatever you dream up...My favorite is bacon mushroom cheeseburger...Add onions or whatever you want on a burger...And yes I use beef...Ground chuck has enough fat to do the trick...

A couple of ideas come to mind here.

Take some Spicy Pintos and mix with some Refried Beans, add a layer inside.

I like using chunks of cream cheese as it doesnt leak out.

Chop up some potatoes and onions cook them up before and season with taco/fajita seasoning.

I like the Chorizo idea as well!

I agree with the refried beans, maybe some good Spanish rice too. Think of it like building 7-layer dip or whatever you call it, minus the source cream, that would probably be a bit mushy. Same with the avocado or guacamole. You could always use those as toppings on your slices after you're done; I'd do the same with the Fritos, I just don't know what texture they would have after cooking in there, maybe someone can prove me wrong and say they'll stay crispy.

I've have great results mixing half and half regular ground beef and pork for my taco meat, should be fine here. I'd also mix the taco seasoning into the meat, instead of just sprinkling on the outside.

It maybe to late now but I've made a taco fatty in the past using hamburger mixed with taco seasoning as the platform, although not positive of what stuffed it with I know I used crushed up Doritos on the inside and they really weren't all the great.... And yes I still rolled it with a bacon weave :)

If u go straight beefm its a meatloaf. I wasnt putting down ur idea. And it looked great
Im a lil pissed u waited till im in disney to make it tho, so ill have to make a better taco fatty when i come home

I just get the feeling any Fritos / tortilla / taco shell inside the fatty is going to turn to mush as the juices start cooking out of the meat. I would not cook them internal to the fatty. Only thing I could think of would be to maybe roll the fatty in crushed Fritos. But even then they may get soggy or even burn.

My first thought was taco meat fatty with cheese stuffing then when it's done smoking do a crushed tortilla coating and bake that off at high temp (maybe even broil) just to crisp it up. Then slice and top that with salsa/guacamole/etc but that might be more like an appetizer.

So many ways to go, look forward to seeing your experiment!

I would leave the tortillas out of the mix until serving time...and use the fatty slices as the meat in your tacos. Chorizo would work great, it's not hard to make your own if you can get some ground pork with enough fat in it.

I would think to be careful on the chorizo mixed into the beef. With all the vinegar in the mix the chorizo falls apart. Probably best to make it a layer inside the roll.

Though I have had burgers with chorizo mixed in that didn't fall apart... Maybe just keep it below 50% of the mix.

And I like the refried bean idea too. Maybe layer the beef, then beans, then chorizo, then cheese, chiles, and onions. Save the tomato and avocado for topping so they are fresh (ie: PICO)... And bacon wrap!

Then eat it in a tortilla.:icon_smile_tongue:

Mike "Dodis"

Back