SV Beef ribs issue/help

Fillmore Farmer

Knows what a fatty is.
Guys,

For many years I would occasionally do some SV beef ribs. I got the recipe from an article in Sunset magazine from these guys who won a lot of contest.....this is where I first learned the magic of SV! It's simple: beef ribs, trim the fat, season, seal into the bag, into the water bath at 135F x 48 hours and then finish on the grill.

Over the years I've done this several times and the results are amazing....but suddenly I'm having a major problem! I've now done 3 batches and they all came out horribly wrong!

The first time I thought the uncooked meat sat in the fridge too long before I got around to seasoning it. I'm guessing the meat wasn't fresh enough and so after SV the meat had a nasty odor.

The second time everything was fresh but coming out of the SV bag there was a profound nasty odor. Research suggested it was a lacto-bacteria thing that likely was fueled by my having used a seasoning that contained a fair amount of sugar.

Third attempt I used fresh meat, washed it very well and no sugar in any of the seasoning, I stuck to salt, pepper, garlic and maybe a few other spices. After SV, the same odor persists! Not as bad but still there!

I double checked the temp and it's 135F. It was a few weeks ago but I ran across something on the internet that suggested starting the SV process at 180F for an hour and then bringing it down to 135F for the remaining long haul....the idea being to kill the lacto bacteria. It said the lacto odor was harmless to eat but still, it gets to your nose.

I have NO IDEA why I've been able to make SV ribs for years without issue and now I'm suddenly getting this odor. Any thoughts to offer???

Yeah, here's the info: https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com...at-smell-preventing-sous-vide-odors-ask-jason

It's lactobacillus and it can be dealt with by either placing the meat in boiling water for 10 seconds prior to the SV process OR exposing the meat to 160F

I think I'll go 180F for 15 minutes and then lower the temp to 135F for the remaining 47.75 minutes

Okay, I answered my own question but I wanted this info out there for others. If you've never tried SV Beef ribs it's truly amazing and when finished on the smoker and then sizzled on the grill, the overall results will give pork ribs a run for their money!

Last edited:
I assume you meant the remaining 47.75 hours not minutes. This is intriguing but could you spell out a bit more about 'finishing' on the grill.

Lactobacillus is good bacteria (think yogurt or sourdough starter), but like bad bacteria it still reproduces. It is killed at 138° so it can reproduce on something like a chuck roast in a long SV bath lower than 138°.

The fix a lot of people are using is to drop your vacuum bag containing the meat into boiling water for 30 seconds, then move it to your SV bath.

Back