Super Bowl Planning, question on cook times?

cb25

Full Fledged Farker
Every year we host a big super bowl party at our house - it started as a way to introduce the in-laws to each other and has grown to an annual tradition. Usually we grill up some carne asada for street tacos, make a bunch of sides and order some mini-chimi platters from a local place. Usually easy Mexican buffet style stuff.

This year...it's BBQ. My first cook of this size. We figure 30-40 people - some come for all, some come and go...some will eat heavy, others won't eat at all.

So far I've got 3 pork butts (~ 7-8lbs each). I've got room on the OK Joe (we named him Hamton) for one more good size hunk of meat - I'm figuring I'd like to get my hands on a 10-12 lb brisket if I can - this would put me at about 32-ish lbs of uncooked meat. We're also doing a few lbs of chicken wings (mom-in-law's speciality) and we'll have sides - garlic mashed potatoes, biscuits, bread, mac n cheese, veggie and fruit trays (for those who prefer rabbit food), and a ton of desserts. Oh, and beer. Lots of beer.

I have 2 main questions -

#1 - does that sound like enough? I'd rather overcook than under. I also have a 5 burner gas grill that could be used for additional goodies, but my smoker is maxed out on space.

#2 - any suggestions on the timing of this? Kickoff is ~ 4pm our time (I believe) My goal would be to have everything off the smoker by 2:00-3pm if possible so it can rest an hour before pulling or slicing. Earlier would be fine though, I'm not afraid of a nice long rest. I figure to have things wrapped and off the cooker by 3, I'd need to start the cook around 3-4am? I don't love the sound of that, but I'm also not unwilling to start that early.

Oh, and FWIW, Hamton runs nicely around 250-275 with a nice bed of lump charcoal and burning sticks the rest of the way. Sometimes I'll drop off another load of lit charcoal around the 4hr mark if it looks like it's getting a little thin.

Any advice would be appreciated.

People will throw out #'s for how many pounds you'll net for so many people but like you said you'll have some not eating at all and very little. Taking into consideration all the snacking and other sides you have you'll have plenty of leftovers imo.

If you can handle an all nighter i'd go that route so you can enjoy the game and don't have to stress finishing on time. That'll free up the morning to cook other snacks etc...

also take into consideration that all the food might not cook at the same rate on your pit

When I cook 4 pork butts in my OK Joe, I rotate them 1/2 way through

If you have never loaded it up fully be aware of that and plan accordingly.

Personally I would cook some on Saturday, like the butts.

I agree with Kieth that you'll have enough, if you get the brisket.

Now as to cook time, I also agree on the all nighter at the temp your pit runs.
You could always catch a nap after the cook is done and before things are beginning.
The Brisket at 12# is going to take you about 12 hours and you'll be tossing the butts in I'm guessing so they finish at the same time?
This will lower your pit temp for about an hour so add that to your cook time as the pit area will be maxed out.

Thanks for the input all.

I've done one other moderately big cook - 4 racks of baby backs, 1 pork butt, 1 brisket -- the brisket turned out pretty darn good, the pork was one of my best - but half of the ribs were inedible -- totally overdone.

I'll probably end up setting an alarm for the middle of the night and getting up and getting started...I love the idea of a pre-game nap before everyone gets there. My only worry is if I finish too early, the wife may give me other stuff to do!

Thanks for the input all.

I've done one other moderately big cook - 4 racks of baby backs, 1 pork butt, 1 brisket -- the brisket turned out pretty darn good, the pork was one of my best - but half of the ribs were inedible -- totally overdone.

I'll probably end up setting an alarm for the middle of the night and getting up and getting started...I love the idea of a pre-game nap before everyone gets there. My only worry is if I finish too early, the wife may give me other stuff to do!

she does not have to know its done

there are ways around that

;)

My advice would be to find some help, be it friend, buddy or in-law. It makes it less stressful. Also "stay out of the Beer" untill all of the food is cooked :tsk: (Ok maybe one or two)..:becky:

Ha...yea, no worries...I'll behave until the food comes off the cooker, and the pigskin hits the air...

you should have plenty of food/meats.

I would have the brisket on by 2:30am and the pork butts on at 4:30 am if you would like them done by 3pm.

Thanks for the advice all.

As of now my plan is to get the brisket on middle of the night - probably 2:30-3am as suggested. I'll probably run a little hot, so may finish early. Depending on my energy (and caffeine) levels at that point, I'll either toss on some wings pre-game, or catch a quick nap before people start showing up.

Will try to get some pics as I go...

Back