Strange Question - what do you consider a split of wood

TheHojo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Ted
In reading a lot of the fire management posts - folks will add a "split" every 20 to 60 minutes to keep their pit up to temperature

But what is considered a split - if it is a hole log, would a "split" be half of it split from the top - or a 1/4 of it - or an 1/8 of it?

I always assumed a split was a 1/4 of a log split from the top -

I know everyone's smoker is different it terms of how many "splits" you have to throw in - as well as the length and diameter of the "split"

Just wondering if there was a universal definition of what a "split" was

Nah, it more depends on the size of your pit and firebox. My splits in the LSG are only 3" diameter, only like 8" long. I'm sure the commercial cookers are using much larger.

I liked to run my Shirley using "splits" that were about the thickness of a beer can, if you fit a circle into a triangle area. A bigger smoker would probably need a bigger split, or more of them. Using the beer can size, the fractional amount of the overall split would vary based on the size of the whole log it was from.

I agree with both previous comments. Split size can also vary when starting and maintaining fire. I often start my fire on top of 1 or 2 logs equal to 4-5 splits that will be added as cook progresses. I aspire deeper and larger glowing coals,therefore use larger pieces than most people. I prefer the least amount of smoke as possible while maintaining temperature. I'm blessed with wood free for cutting so I often make coals in an old heater and trasnfer them to smoker with a shovel.

Thank you - guess I was really trying to figure out how many splits in a log - if I hear everyone correctly, would depend on your smoker

However, when you buy wood that has been split - would it be fair to say on average there are 4 splits per log? In other words, each split is a 1/4 of a log

Of course once you get them home they can be split again or cut depending on the size of your smoker

Thank you - guess I was really trying to figure out how many splits in a log - if I hear everyone correctly, would depend on your smoker

However, when you buy wood that has been split - would it be fair to say on average there are 4 splits per log? In other words, each split is a 1/4 of a log

Alot of variables to your question. Tree's aren't all exactly the same size The splits vary a little depending on the actual tree and then how whoever splits the wood before you receive it. The splits i get from my wood source are usually 16" long and between 3-6 inches thick on average.

Like suds said about beer can diameter splits are my ideal size but sometimes they are a little smaller or larger. Experience will show you when to add a piece that is larger or smaller depending what your fire is doing. Having a kindling cracker is a must with a stick burner.

hope that helps

... would it be fair to say on average there are 4 splits per log? In other words, each split is a 1/4 of a log

I'm not quite sure there is an "average" number.

The number of splits you get from a log depends on how big around the log is and how big your fire box is.

I have a little patio size stick burner and I use logs between 4 and 10 inches in diameter.
I get 2 or 3 splits from the smaller logs and I can get 8 splits from the bigger logs.

A buddy has a 500 gallon reverse flow and he uses logs between 12 and 24 inches.
He has a hydraulic splitter and the number of split per log is 6 from the 24s and 4 from the 12s.

a split is just a term and can be any size depending on you wood supplier and I just use a kindling cracker to get down to the right size for what pit i am using .

As others have said, there are a ton of variables here, but really it all boils down to learning your cooker and what size splits work best to run at your desired cooking temperature. And knowing how to make use of any scrap you may have doesn't hurt either!

I also agree that having a stick burner pretty much requires having certain tools at your disposal in addition to a good wood supplier. My supplier will split logs to a certain specification I have dialed in for an extra $30.00 per 1/4 cord. I ask for all white oak (well seasoned), all splits (no rounds), 16" length, and 3-4" diameter with minimal bark. The majority of what I get fits that spec, which saves me a ton of work and is well worth the extra charge.

But since wood grows in all shapes and sizes and splits the way the wood wants to split, sometimes certain pieces are still too thick, or too long. So I have a small 6.5 ton electric wood splitter in my garage if I need to split down a large batch, a large kindling cracker next to my wood rack out back if I just need to split one or two pieces down or make some kindling, and a black and decker alligator chain saw to cut splits down length wise when they're too long. This allows me to ensure I can get any wood down to whatever size I want.

It also allows me to use the same wood for whatever purpose I need it for, since I use wood for a lot of different cookers. And chances are, if you have a stick burner, you probably also have a few other types of cookers. I buy by the 1/4 cord for my stick burner, but I also use a few cookers that use chunks, including the Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5" my 22.5" Weber Kettle, and now a new Ooni Karu 16 Pizza oven. I go through my wood pile and look for longer splits, then use the alligator saw to cut off a 4" chunk, and I'll fill a big tub with those chunks, so I have all the fuel I need for the stick burner and also the charcoal cookers that use chunks for smoke flavor (or to get the heat up to 850-900 for the pizza oven). A couple other tools that are great for a stick burner are a propane weed torch, and small leaf blower with a variable speed trigger, which works GREAT for getting your initial fire going, or stoking a fire when needed.

And last... I still sometimes run in to a piece that is just too dense, maybe has a little too much moisture and I know it isn't going to burn super clean.
I don't generally have many of those, but when I do come across one, they now get set aside and used for cold smoking sausage, since cold smoking doesn't require as clean of a burn and according to Chud's BBQ (one of the best BBQ Youtube channels IMO) "you actually want slightly dirty smoke for cold smoking". I'm certainly no expert on cold smoking sausage, but I'll take Chud's word for it and I've not had any bad taste on the few batches I've made that way.

Back