Stoker or CyberQ II ?

D.F. Expat

Full Fledged Farker
I had my mind made up on the stoker for the ability to control multiple smokers but now that the CyberQ II is out I am torn. I am getting more frequent orders, and the ability to run 2 drums, at 2 different temps, without having to watch them, or worry about temps during the rest of the prep and packaging is my main reason for wanting a controller. Sp what say you Brethren? Also for a drum if I want to hold say 350 degrees, is the 5 cfm fan enough or should I go for the 10?

TIA

If you contact the Stoker customer service desk, they will be able to help you with the size of the fan. A 5 cfm fan seems small and would run more often that a 10 cfm. They helped me determine the fan size by calculating the cubic ft. of my offset.
Benny

I thought the idea was to have it run as often as possible to make the cleanest fire, that's the reason for asking about the 5cfm fan.

I think a 10cfm fan would be wise. The Guru is a good choice for what you want to do but remember its litations with regard to how you able to monitor it from a remote location. That seems to be a serious drawback.

First I dont think you can go wrong with either unit.
But I cant begin to tell you how many versions of the Guru have come out since I bought my stoker. To get the latest features Guru suggests buying a new unit. Stoker ... download the free update.

I thought the idea was to have it run as often as possible to make the cleanest fire, that's the reason for asking about the 5cfm fan.

The fans are used to maintain the proper temperature in the smoker. They turn on/off as required based on the pit probe temp setting. A bigger fan will turn on/off less frequently. The "set it and forget it" feature of the Stoker (or Guru) and its ability to maintain a constant temp for several hours is the prime reason for having one.

The clean smoke is based more on what type of fuel you are burning and the temp you cook at, not whether there is a fan. Without a fan, one will have clean smoke, they just have to watch their smokers more frequently.

Benny

I have a CyberQ it supports 2 pits very well. It controls the temp on my OK Joe rib cooker and my vertical pipe smoker (Super UDS). I use a 10 cfm on the pipe smoker w/ good results. I have not taken advantage of the USB/Wireless monitoring of my unit.

I believe the stoker may be a better choice given the 'free updates' and remote management features....

Mark

I have both the Stoker unit and 3 Guru's. Love them both but if you cook in any weather at all go with the guru, the Stoker does not like water at all.

I have both the Stoker unit and 3 Guru's. Love them both but if you cook in any weather at all go with the guru, the Stoker does not like water at all.

Thx guys, it does seem to rain a bit here, def more than it did in so cal, maybe the guru is the better bet. Either that or build a box for either of them, which was my original plan. Aside from the water issue, which would you prefer ?

Both units I would definately put in a water proof box or ziploc bag, but I have had to replace 2 Stoker fans due to rain, but never replaced a guru fan due to rain. On the other hand the adapters for the probes on the guru seem to get worn alot faster than the big stereo plugs on the Stoker. But do know I use both my guru and stoker everyday, so mine will wear alot faster than someone using them less frequent.

We have used gurus for years, but recently switched to a stoker unit. We have 4 different sized smokers on trailer, and they set us up so that we have control over all of them through one unit. So far they have held the temps much steadier in our cookers. Very impressed.

We have used gurus for years, but recently switched to a stoker unit. We have 4 different sized smokers on trailer, and they set us up so that we have control over all of them through one unit. So far they have held the temps much steadier in our cookers. Very impressed.

Awesome to hear, I read somewhere that the Stoker had problems controlling more than 2, glad to see that may not be entirely true! What size fans are you using?

I have a cyberqII and like it a lot. I have a Primo oval xl and I have the 10cfm fan. No way I would get the 5 cfm. You can always choke the 10 down, you cannot increase the 5. Pretty simple there.

It claims it is waterproof, but I built a waterproof box out of a rubbermaid to hold it when it is outside (works great...cooked right through a 14 inch snowstorm and numerous rainy nights). I would not leave it alone outside when inclement weather is on the horizon.

The biggest difference between the 2 is how you can remote monitor them. Plain and simple the Stoker is better in this regard. It has a built in web server. The CyberqII does not...it connects via USB, which is an inherently inferior interface. CyberqII claims it can be used remotely via wireless USB...well, I have not seen a single wireless USB hub that will actually work through walls or anymore then 10 feet away from the cyberq (and I have tried a couple of them). There does claim to be a super charged wireless USB...I cannot seem to find it now, but it was about $250 bucks, so I did not try it. What I do is run a 33 foot (from monoprice) USB extension cable from my family room out to the deck to the cooker and it works well for me. I have not had a single issue with the USB cable or operating the cyberq from inside. If you want to be able to control the cooker via remote location over the net, or even with your PDA, then the SToker is what you want. I like the Cyberq, and will continue using it, but if I could do it over again, I would go the stoker route. (the main reason I did not go that route is because he was backlogged about 3 weeks when I wanted to buy and I wanted it right then!).

Back