THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

markrvp

Full Fledged Farker
I need to be able to power a Stoker and 5cfm fan from a battery for a max of 12-14 hours. The battery must be portable to go to a campsite where a car can't be parked.

The Stoker runs off 5v DC. The power supply is a wall wart that converts 120v AC to 5v DC. It appears that the 12v DC adapter that Rocks sells for the Stoker is actually a 12v DC to 120v AC inverter and you just plug the wall wart into. That seems like an inefficient way to provide 5v of DC.

I would like to use a 12v battery like you would get at Tractor Supply to power a deer feeder.

I've got a 12v cigarette lighter jack soldered into spade plugs that slip onto the + and - terminals of the battery.

Soooo... it seems to me that a USB cable plugged into a cigarette lighter adapter would convert the 12v battery to 5v like what the Stoker needs.
ful1_f8z445.jpg

I was thinking I could cut one end off of the USB cable and solder on a plug that would go into the back of the Stoker.

Has anyone tried this? Anyone have another solution for providing a power cable to a Stoker that can be used with a 12v battery? Or, has anyone used the 12v to 120v AC inverter with a battery like I described? I just need the ability to run a Stoker and 5cfm fan from a battery for 12-14 hours.

Get a jumpstarter with a 12V (cigarette lighter) plug
Get something like this
41YffRMO51L.jpg

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/12V-Cigarette-Lighter-Power-Adapter/dp/B005HWTGQU"]12V Cigarette Lighter Power Adapter : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

Wire in the device mentioned above and put the appropriate plug on it.

Or just get the jump starter and one of [ame=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cigarette%20inverter&sprefix=cigarette+inv%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acigarette%20inverter]these[/ame] and be done with it.

Back