Stick Burner Results/Opinion

mph33

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Charlesgriet
So... I finally got an opportunity to do a test cook on my fairly new modified old country Brazos. The weather here in Georgia has sucked for the past couple weeks. Nothing but rain. I cooked two racks of St Louis cut ribs and all I got to say is the smoke signature on that meat was awesome! I used hickory and Cherry. One thing is very clear with the smoker it doesn't like green wood at all. I tried to burn a couple splits that were around 34% moisture and it did nothing but give me fits even with the door wide open. I started the cook with a basket of lit charcoal in my LSG 20-inch fire basket. I had no issues with fire management using b&b hickory splits but the moment that I tried to usesome of this white and red oak that's not fully seasoned... Temperatures dropped and it started producing a milkier smoke. I guess this has to do with the fact that the firebox needs to be bigger to get more air flow. I'm sure if I had a roaring fire I could use that wood but by then your temperature is would be too high. I'm on a mission today to find some good seasoned wood. As I've mentioned in previous post here there's a lot of con artists in the state of Georgia when it comes to selling wood. They're all liars. I've read not just here but other places online that you can burn green wood in a stick burner. maybe so but definitely not this one. When I picture people burning greenwood it reminds me of the orcs in Lord of the rings burning live trees LOL.

Anyways.... I am very satisfied with my purchase of this stick burner and I look forward to many cooks and will definitely upgrade to a workhorse 1975. I don't think I'm going to do any more modifications to i.t I'm pretty happy with how it Cooks... I just need to find seasoned wood!

8BeZAf1.jpg

ZZIIdwt.jpg

6vtzvko.jpg

X8ifsbe.jpg

Nn14D2Z.jpg

pAIXUvm.jpg

j5emnCL.jpg

pIuDF91.jpg

rGaK0C6.jpg

BkMMh6A.jpg

6j0K95U.jpg

:clap2: Green Wood Sucks. I'd raise your basket a couple of inches so ash can Fall.
imho smittyjonz is right raise the basket i cook on a lang60 with simaler basket a lsg clone your wood apears to be seasond from the pics. spliting it to split size at the time you are going to cook will give you a damp wood condition split to size as far in advance as posable plus ribs look GRATE

Nice looking cook, and good job overcoming your obstacles!

I would go spend some time splitting your available wood now for use in the future. It will season/dry faster than leaving it as it is. Also, preheat those splits...especially if they contain too much moisture. It looks like you could even fit a couple in that firebox without them catching. You can also place them on top of the firebox, or inside the cook chamber over top of the firebox opening.

Good luck!

^^^^those bolts hold up to repeated stick burning fires?? Or do you Use mostly charcoal in there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Like another mentioned, and what I do as well, is to have splits (1 split weeks/months ahead of time and 2) set the splits to the side IN the firebox if theyre still a little green. I will sometimes have 4 sitting in the box next to the fire, FIFO replacing them as they're used. This helps a whole lot. I dont use the basket though so your space may be limited.

Back