Squirrel! pot Pie

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Hey you with the face!

mapbox clear map
From this to this...

geojson example

Not bbq because it's a week night. Testing recipes in the kitchen. My wife cooked it and I shot it. Also, I pressure cooked it to debone it. Added The BBQ Rub to the squirrel while pressure cooking to debone the squirrel. Not bad at all. I like the chicken of the trees. Tasty little rodent. :becky:

How many squirrels does it take to have enough meat for a decent size pot pie?

If it was easy I'm sure we would have squirrel farmers and squirrel pot pies in the frozen section of the grocery store.

I'm guessing not much meat to trouble ratio?

How many squirrels does it take to have enough meat for a decent size pot pie?

If it was easy I'm sure we would have squirrel farmers and squirrel pot pies in the frozen section of the grocery store.

I'm guessing not much meat to trouble ratio?

I used one. Probably 2-3 would be better but you just add more vegetables when you have less meat.
Just a test run and tastes pretty good.
Wild game meat can be sold. I found squirrel online but $100 per squirrel is crazy. It's pretty highly regulated.
We weighed it at 4.4 ounces of useable deboned meat. So 2-3 squirrels would be better but you can make it with one fat squirrel.
I am hoping to get better at hunting so I can get back to cooking again. I use to be here all the time and cooked a ton. Times are tough for everyone but I figure why not get after some cheap wild game meat.
Wild Turkey maybe in the future if Saturday goes well.
If deer season goes well then expect a ton of wild game recipes coming from me in the future.
Squirrels will drive you mad hunting for them. They are delicious though.
Pressure cooking the squirrel for deboning is key so you don't waste any meat.

Never had it but would definitely give it a try

It's a good replacement for chicken. Similar but not exactly the same. Somewhere between dark meat chicken and dark meat turkey. Not gamey at all.
It's really good meat.
It's got a stigma to it but not sure why it ever lost popularity. Probably due to deer populations getting better. More meat for your effort.
Took all day Saturday to hunt down one squirrel.

That looks amazing. I ate squirrel often when I was young but haven't had it in years. My dad was the hunter but me not so much. Maybe I should change that. Tasty little buggers.

Looking forward to your future wild game posts. Turkey time is right around the corner!

If you got 4.4 ounces, yea....another 2 or 3 squirrels would have been nice for a medium size pie.

A pound of chicken is about right for a medium chicken pot pie, so a pound of squirrel would be good.

Looking forward to your future wild game posts. Turkey time is right around the corner!

If you got 4.4 ounces, yea....another 2 or 3 squirrels would have been nice for a medium size pie.

A pound of chicken is about right for a medium chicken pot pie, so a pound of squirrel would be good.
Saturday is closing day for Fall turkey season in PA at least where I am at. I have work all week and off Saturday so getting up early Saturday before the sun comes up to get ready. Got a lead on a big fat Tom Turkey. He keeps visiting my trail camera. I have the video posted in my other thread in the woodpile but here is a link to see what I am talking about. Hoping this fella will be a future cooking video in QTalk. :becky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPvis7mV9fI

Good shootin' Rusty! I'm sure it was delicious!
Nice to be able to provide meat for your table. Hope you have a successful deer season too.
I'm getting ready for rifle season in a couple of weeks. :grin:

My wife feeds the Squirrels in our yard and they have plenty of Acorns too. She’d turn me into a Pot Pie if I hurt one of them, so we’ll stick with Chicken.

I been feeding the Squirrels unsalted peanuts in my yard. I am tempted to procure one. Not sure i will care for the taste. I bought rabbit at a local grocery when my state was trying to push it. It was too lean for my taste. And it didn't last long. Its no longer sold.

I will admit I never thought about it but would be willing to try.
Hey Marty, how far south are you? Any of them South Florida Chicken of the Trees around you? Green Iguanas. Those look pretty tasty as well.

Hey Marty, how far south are you? Any of them South Florida Chicken of the Trees around you? Green Iguanas. Those look pretty tasty as well.

Maybe Marty does, but we don't have any this far north although I did have one make me stop the car because he was laying in the middle of the street warming up on the tar. He ran as soon as I got out of the car. That's the only one I've seen.

Down in the Miami area, you don't have to shoot them when a cold snap hits. They just fall out of the trees immobilized.

I shot a lot of squirrels during hunting season as a kid. Mom either fried them or made squirrel dumplings. They were good eats back then. That's a good lookin' pot pie.

Try squirrel dumplings next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was just going to suggest squirrel dumplings! My grandmother used to make them. Basically made the same as chicken dumplings but with squirrel (and by dumplings, I mean the fluffy biscuit dough type that cooks on top of the meat/veg mix, not the wide flat type).

We had plenty of land to harvest "chicken of the trees" on at their retirement hobby farm back in the 60's. Although we preferred to cull them with a .22 as you did not have to look out for little lead shot pieces in the meat (as would sometimes happen with a shotgun). I wonder how much shot I consumed back then?

Plenty down here Andy, not for me though.
Nellie does keep a machete handy to humanely dispatch of them when they get in the garden.

Back