THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I picked up a bag of SPOGOS locally right when it was released a month ago, and JUST NOW got around to using it on something. We're supposed to get some more winter weather here this weekend and I wanted some brisket to eat while I watch the Chiefs clobber the Patriots on Sunday. I decided to cook one on the Primo XL with the Flame Boss controller and let it run things while I was at work.

The brisket was a prime packer from Costco weighing in at 14lbs. While I trimmed less fat than I normally do, I did cut off more of the actual meat on the thin part of the flat that I felt would dry out during the cook. I've found that I can't trim briskets as aggressively as I do for the Shirley when I'm using the Primo, I think the radiant heat from the ceramic / deflector plates plays into that.

Anyhow, trimmed, hit with SPOGOS, on the Primo @ 250* using B&B lump with a mix of hickory and cherry chips, fat side down, wrapped in butcher paper around 170*, probed well enough around 205*. The point was a little more done than I would've liked, guessing since it was closer to the diffuser plates, but still plenty good. It's not a stick burner brisket but it still turned out just fine :thumb: vacuum sealed and will dunk it in the sous vide on Sunday.

Also, SPOGOS is great, unsurprisingly.

Last edited:
Good looking brisket. I plan on picking up a Prime packer from Costco, on my next trip there and cooking it on my Timberline 1300. I am looking forward to see how it comes out, compared to my Big Joe cooks.

I actually ate it for the first time tonight - wound up going to the Chiefs game and grilled while we tailgated. A vacuum bag got dropped in the SV a couple hours ago and ready to eat when I got home....it was quite tasty :thumb:

The 7th picture was just before I wrapped it. It did darken up nicely even while wrapped between that and the last pic.

Back