Spinach Ricotta Pie on the Golden's Cast Iron

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
I've made this before on the stove and in the oven. It's from Chef Pasquale/Orsara Recipes. Today I wasn't in the mood for heating up the kitchen so the Golden's got the call to be a stove top and an oven.

Spinach Ricotta Pie with Andouille Sausage and Sundried Tomatoes

Since I'm using my fancy Emile Henry ceramic pie plate which is extremely deep dish (like 2 1/2 inches) and store bought pie dough comes up way short I decided to make my own. Here's the disk ready to be placed in the fridge to chill -

wyMsZcU.jpg

Outside on the Golden's, get some EVOO and garlic ready -

qRuSNvW.jpg

Recipe calls for one pound of Spinach. I had two pounds and no matter how much you start with it doesn't turn into much -

CDvSIe5.jpg

W4e01r4.jpg

While the spinach is doing its thing, dice up some Andouille Sausage -

uVpTbAc.jpg

And out it goes into the CI skillet -

bFBiId4.jpg

The spinach is left to cool in a colander and as much liquid is squeezed out before it gets mixed with the rest of the ingredients.

Pie dough has sufficiently chilled and is rolled out -

go1OVpA.jpg

Blind baked out on the grill with ceramic pie weights. The Golden's is set up indirect with the double stack of grates to keep the temps consistent in the dome around 360F or so. I've got the pie plate sitting on some ceramic tiles to avoid contact with the cast iron grates. Being kinda paranoid here as I've not used this pie dish out on the grill before -

7uK2fOo.jpg

Recipe calls for 3 eggs. No way.

8 eggs
Mozzarella
Ricotta
Andouille Sausage
Spinach
Sundried Tomatoes -

F0coA53.jpg

I trimmed the dough at the rim prior to blind baking (should have just left it). My baking skills need some improvement. Had I not done that the dough would have been at the rim of the pan. Live and learn.

After about 45-50 minutes I grated some Parmesan over the top. It's looking pretty good -

YWPnRJS.jpg

YcCnmEf.jpg

But it did need about another 10 minutes to firm up, so bake time was a little beyond one hour.

Inside to rest about a half hour -

zZ0XygR.jpg

7gwBQgp.jpg

Let's cut a slice and see how we did -

RpJyapL.jpg

HBUVfFy.jpg

This one turned out excellent. The combo of the Andouille Sausage and the Sundried Tomatoes worked out great. The last time I made this I used Italian Sausage and didn't have the tomatoes on hand.

There's gonna be plenty left for breakfast, brunch or dinner tomorrow.

As always, thanks for following along with this post. Just a little something different out on the Golden's while keeping the kitchen cool today.

Regards,
-lunchman

Same as above, I would not have imagined a dish like that but it looks great and apparently works. Amazing looking cook!

Give the proportion of Andouille to Spinach, I would have given Andouille top billing. Whatever the name, looks great and I’m sure it tasted great too.

You have some very clever cooks. I'm never disappointed when I click on one of your threads. If your food tastes half as good as it looks in pictures, you are eating WELL!

Thanks for the posts, I look forward to the next one!

That looks incredible. Looks like there is a bit of residual liquid from the spinach. Would it be better to put spinach in a towel to remove liquid after sautéing or would that not work?

That looks incredible. Looks like there is a bit of residual liquid from the spinach. Would it be better to put spinach in a towel to remove liquid after sautéing or would that not work?

Yes, that would work and is recommended - tea towel or cheesecloth. I let it drain in a strainer, then squeezed the heck out of it in my hands. Next time....

Thanks all for the kind words. As mentioned this is from Orsara Recipes. I've made a few of them from Chef Pasquale and always find his videos entertaining.

It'll make for a good lunch today that's for sure.

Man, that pie looks delicious Dom! Spinach and ricotta are a match made in heaven. Never had andoulie sausage before, can't get it around here. Been wanting to try it for years. Bet it was an awesome addition.

Back