Speaking of Ribs, Help Me Pick My Rubs Today

razorbrewer

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Rick
So the "Why ribs????" thread gave me the itch to hang a couple racks of whole spares in the Hunsaker today. I'll be burning lump charcoal with a few chunks of pecan and cherry but I need a little help picking out my rubs. I know I want two distinctly different flavor profiles with one being savory and the other sweet with a touch of heat. On hand in the pantry I have the following to choose from:

Q-Salt
Red Boat Salt
Plowboys Yardbird
BPS Little Louie's Seasoned Garlic Salt
BPS Sweet Money
BPS Happy Ending Finishing Rub
Butch's Smack Your Lips BBQ Magic Dust
Killer Hogs The Rub
SM Sweet Seduction
SM Pecan
John Henry's Pecan
Oakridge Dominator
Oakridge Secret Weapon
Oakridge Competition Beef & Pork
Oakridge Habanero Death Dust
Smoking Guns Hot

What would be your choice(s) for a savory rack and a sweet with a little heat rack? No plans to sauce at the end. Will update the thread with pics from the cook after the decision has been made. TIA!

What's your vote for savory? I'm leaning Q-Salt but not sure if I should add something else to the mix.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Q-Sailt goes great on Ribs, it's an excellent change up from typical BBQ Rubs, I use it quite often.

EU23YS0.jpg

I'm in the same boat.
Secret Weapon Pork and Chicken
Sucklebusters Hogwaller
Loot n Booty Everything Rub
Cimmaron Doc's Sweet Rib Rub

Def a layer of Q Salt first, Oakridge Dominator and final layer of SM Pecan. You've got too many good rubs. :-D I even like Oakridge Comp Pork and Chicken by itself.

I always do SPG, onion powder, cumin, chili powder, dash of tony Crechales, and for my my rub either or both Simply marvelous pecan / 3 Eyez.... for pork this works for me.

The Oakridge Dominator + HDD ribs took a dive on top of the vortex plate but thankfully I caught it right when it happened. The Q-Salt rack hung in there just fine. Pulled them both and into the warming drawer until we eat.

246c67b54630db6db88a7fd62bc553b0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Great looking ribs.

I'm late but I would have suggested to add HDD to either Oakridge Comp beef & pork or Plowboys yardbird for sweet n spicy ribs.

Back