South Texas Blast From The Past ~ BBQ Across America Throwdown Entry

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Time is running out, this THROWDOWN ends tomorrow!

I was born in south Texas and the family had a cattle ranch west of Beeville. Although Texas is definitely beef country and we processed our own beef, my grandfather also barbecued a lot of pork, deer, chicken and Cabrito. In those days rub was called a ‘seasoning’ and was primarily salt, pepper and Gebhardt's chile powder.

Everyone basted barbecued meat, and it was more often sliced, other than some of the fatty Cabrito meat for tacos. Sauce was homemade, brown and thin and served at the table, it's use was not mandatory by any means. Mesquite trees were everywhere (along with those annoying seed pods) and you could buy huge bags of mesquite charcoal made in Mexico, or like we did..... burn down wood and shovel it into a brick pit. Everything claimed to be cooked low-slow, but no one ever used a thermometer. The heat was all by feel.

LV7wLB4.jpg

Back to the 21st century....... For this TD I went with mesquite charcoal, pecan flavor wood, money muscle roasts from a pork shoulder, and substituted lamb ribs for goat. Seasonings were TD sponsor products: Hot Salt from Naturiffic, and Oakridge Santa Maria. The top layer was Cimarron Doc's, but I added a tick of Top Hat chile powder. I cooked everything at 250°-270° indirect. No sauce, no forks needed!!

S5rl3JE.jpg

CZFxRfZ.jpg

jgTgNNA.jpg

PaIGlao.jpg

XHl7fbv.jpg

b72CNIB.jpg

Last edited:
Are you sure you want to enter those meats? I know you can do better, so just send those to me and fire up the old smoker again. You have time for a better entry:heh:
Beautiful cook and presentation as always!!

Are you sure you want to enter those meats? I know you can do better, so just send those to me and fire up the old smoker again. You have time for a better entry:heh:
Beautiful cook and presentation as always!!

heheheee, Thanks bud, and thanks for the kind words as well. Plan B was Alabama white sauce, which I've had once or twice and I loved it. But sticking with your 'roots' kind of cooking is always enjoyable.

The grub looks excellent, but I thoroughly enjoyed the back story.

Beeville, TX! That's a town I haven't heard of in a long while. Used to shoot the NDB approach in our T-44A Kingair when going through pilot training with the US Navy out of NAS Corpus Christi at the time. Great stuff!

I learned to BBQ not too far from where you did, out at a friend's ranch north of Goliad. Shoveling mesquite, live and post oak coals into the chamber, no thermometers. Now I love having thermometers lol.

Beautiful color on those meats.

The charcoal basket has a removable water reservoir, and the heat boils the water. I'm thinking that has something to do with the color? Even something like a plain fatty builds really nice color.
PoZSGi9.jpg

Is that a similar picket fence I see there?

Those meats look great!

Similar? The ranch house was build in the 20's or 30's by descendants of German Texans.

The grub looks excellent, but I thoroughly enjoyed the back story.

Beeville, TX! That's a town I haven't heard of in a long while. Used to shoot the NDB approach in our T-44A Kingair when going through pilot training with the US Navy out of NAS Corpus Christi at the time. Great stuff!

We had a home in Corpus Christi too, and our next door neighbor was a retired Air Force Major who would haul a car full of kids to the NAS so we could go to the movies or fish off of the huge concrete docks.

I learned to BBQ not too far from where you did, out at a friend's ranch north of Goliad. Shoveling mesquite, live and post oak coals into the chamber, no thermometers. Now I love having thermometers lol.

I hear you. The first real thermometer I had on a smoker was on a Green Egg I bought almost 20 years ago. I chuckle when folks fret over 10° pit temp swings.

Back