South African braai

What a great read.
I entertain some South Africans occasionally and they are passionate about BBQ.
They go crazy over home made sausage.

Thanks for sharing the article!

Enjoyed the read.

Missing the social aspect of food these days... especially some good 'cue.

EDIT: jwtseng got me thinking, and I started searching and reading... I'm really interested in what these folks use to season their meat when they grill.

"Sout" - Sounds a little like "Salt" if I say it quickly. Most searches I've done find "Braai Salt" or "Braai Spices" - Duh. Makes sense.

Here's one interesting recipe that I found... meant to be put in a dehydrator before canning: http://www.recipecommunity.com.au/main-dishes-meat-recipes/bbq-salt-braai-sout/247270
BBQ Salt - Braai Sout

1 brown onion
50 g chives
10 g Garlic Cloves (about 3-4 cloves)
1/2 Capsicum
15 g fresh flat leaf parsley
4 fresh basil leaves
2 Bayleaves (Dry or fresh)
1 Red Chili (Optional), About 5g
20 g 4 colour mix Pepper corns
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp ginger
100 g rock salt

1. Blend all ingredients for 10 sec on speed 8. Repeat if necessary. A wet paste should to be created.

2. Dry out in Dehydrator - place paste in dehydrator for about 8-12 hours on 60ºC. Ensure it is completely dry before placing back in Thermomix.

3. Once dried, place back in Thermomix [grinder of some sort?] and mill for 8 sec on speed 7. Repeat if necessary to get a powder which can be sprinkled over meat (or other food).

Additionally, I found this one for a "Braai Spiced T-Bones:" - http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018131-braai-spiced-t-bone-steaks
4 tablespoons coarse salt
2 tablespoons white or brown sugar (optional)
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 tablespoon paprika or 2 teaspoons paprika plus 1 teaspoon cayenne
1 tablespoon garlic flakes or powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon dried thyme
4 to 6 T-bone steaks, about 1 1/2 inches thick

Make the braai spice: In a grinder or mortar and pestle, grind all the seasonings and herbs until fine.
Rub steaks with the braai spice and set aside in refrigerator for 1 to 4 hours. Bring to room temperature before grilling.

Heat a grill until screaming hot.
Place steaks on the grill and cook, turning every 2 minutes or so, until crusty outside and medium-rare inside, 120 to 125 degrees.
Let rest 10 minutes and slice across the grain for serving.

Last edited:
@Shadowdriver...thx for digging up the two mixes...the second one almost sounds like a pastrami rub with the sugar and coriander, but both sound interesting! I don't have a dehydrator but I can oven the first one. I'll try it!

Back