THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
This weekend this Tri Tip will be my initial cook.
May just do a coconut oil rub- KS & CBP with a pat of Irish Butter and seal with a Foodsaver. Maybe a drop or two of Green Chile Sauce. Will decide at game time whether to finish on 650* BGE-Mini or hot cast iron skillet in bacon grease.

Last edited:
Excellence, I do my tri tips for about 6 hours at 130 then flash sear over charcoal fire. Truly outstanding when you have edge to edge doneness like that in a large cut.

Looks great Adams, looking forward to how you like the Anova.

Beautiful TT. I'll say, I wouldn't think of doing a TT in the Sous Vide. One of the reasons I love that cut is that you can cook one and serve several people with different tastes. My wife loves the small tip end as it comes out medium, I eat the medium rare part for dinner that night, and then make sandwiches out of the rare portion.

MMmmmm... Tri-Tip sandwiches...

Prep work was easy

TriTip rubbed with coconut oil/seasoned with Kosher Salt and Cracked Black Pepper. Added Irish butter and vacuum sealed.

Last edited:
I wish I could find Tri-Tip here for close to that price. Local grocery is outrageous. Sams and Costco don't carry that cut. Only place close I can find is Trader Joe's and they sell for $9.99/lb.....and it ain't CAB.

This was discussed elsewhere here, but if you finish on a direct open-faced heat source like a pan or open grill, you won't raise the IT much.

If you finish in a closed egg (like I do) it will jack that IT up easy.

I've not tried a tri tip with my Anova...yet. Looking forward to seeing how you like it Adams.

Water bath temp

I'm a bit concerned about your water bath temp. 129 is pushing the edge of the danger zone, and considering your cook time you may want to consider jacking it few degrees. I haven't been able to find a pasteurization table that lists anything under 131F.

Someone who knows more about food safety can correct me if I'm wrong, but I personally always go over when doing anything for over 4 hours

We're using Adams as a guinea pig to see if it's safe or not. :)

Adams you will not be disappointed, like the sound of the CI and bacon grease. Love my Anova only regret is I put off getting one for so long.

So long as you're cooking "short"(less than 3-4 hours) cooks I like to keep meats like this under 130 degrees. The reason being that with each degree over 130 you lose quite a bit of moisture.

Now, taking tougher meats longer I go 130-130.5 to keep moisture loss down and still hit pasteurization in under 4 hours.

BTW, I currently have frozen homemade soup rocking along at 155 till my wife gets home. Love my Anova.

I'm a bit concerned about your water bath temp. 129 is pushing the edge of the danger zone, and considering your cook time you may want to consider jacking it few degrees. I haven't been able to find a pasteurization table that lists anything under 131F.

Someone who knows more about food safety can correct me if I'm wrong, but I personally always go over when doing anything for over 4 hours

I consulted with my guru, he's safe.

Back