Sous Vide Explained for the Masses Thanks to KenInk and Ink Bird. A review...

Nice review, thanks for posting it.

One souls vide recipe I strooooongly recommend is Pork Belly.

• Pork Belly in a bag with 5 parts salt to 2 parts sugar (total amount depends on how much belly you’re using, but that’s the ratio to use). Generally just loosely coat the meat with the mixture.
  • 154 degrees for 24 hours.
  • Broil it at 500 degrees for 7-10 minutes. Until skin is crispy.

It’s a lot of time to cook, but it’s one of the most delicious things I’ve had.

Nice write up. FWIW, not sure there's a need to double bag (if I read that correctly).

Also, you'll probably soon notice that the actual temps for conventionally cooked "mid rare" and SV "mid rare" don't exactly correlate. Even when you account for carry over cooking. I guess it also depends on which temp chart you look at. With SV, "mid rare" is about 129 to 135. Over that, you are at the low side of medium. I fought with this for a while and lost. Just trust me on it. Try one at 129, then 130, etc and work your way up.

Nice review, thanks for posting it.

One souls vide recipe I strooooongly recommend is Pork Belly.

• Pork Belly in a bag with 5 parts salt to 2 parts sugar (total amount depends on how much belly you’re using, but that’s the ratio to use). Generally just loosely coat the meat with the mixture.
  • 154 degrees for 24 hours.
  • Broil it at 500 degrees for 7-10 minutes. Until skin is crispy.

It’s a lot of time to cook, but it’s one of the most delicious things I’ve had.

Heh, try that with some Char Siu marinade. THAT will be the best thing every :becky:

Nice write up. FWIW, not sure there's a need to double bag (if I read that correctly).

Also, you'll probably soon notice that the actual temps for conventionally cooked "mid rare" and SV "mid rare" don't exactly correlate. Even when you account for carry over cooking. I guess it also depends on which temp chart you look at. With SV, "mid rare" is about 129 to 135. Over that, you are at the low side of medium. I fought with this for a while and lost. Just trust me on it. Try one at 129, then 130, etc and work your way up.

Great info! Thanks!

Think the 1 I bought has 1200w, have done chicken 1 time and steaks a couple times trying to see if it tenderized , not sure that it has helped but hasn't made it worse lol, more testing is needed but time has been short since I got mine.

Got to try chicken.

Thanks Mike,very detailed review,I really appreciate it!(Applause)
Any members wanna try our unit can get 50% discount code,only $34.995 own it!If you are interested,PM me!

How do you know ow long to sous vide it for? 2hrs? 8hrs? 16hrs?

There are seriously great Apps for that. The included app will set time and temp for your cook. Veg, pork, beef, fish and others once connected to your phone. You tweak it which can be done anytime during the cook. OR watch some you tubes and manually set.

There are seriously great Apps for that. The included app will set time and temp for your cook. Veg, pork, beef, fish and others once connected to your phone. You tweak it which can be done anytime during the cook. OR watch some you tubes and manually set.

Serious Eats web site has a lot of great sous vide recipes with temps and times, and I've found their recommendations to be very spot on.

One of the nice things about sous vide is that you often have a fairly large window for how long to cook something. For example, if you set your cooker at 129*, you could put a steak in the water for 8 hours and it would never go over 129*.

However, the longer you cook something the more time it has to break down the proteins and connective tissues in the steak. While the steak won't ever go past a traditional medium rare, the texture will definitely suffer if you leave it in there too long. Here's a great article where they test different temps, times, etc. https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html

I’m gonna need a sample to verify the quality. I don’t mean the leftover bbq.

it could be arranged. I'm not sure how the package will be received in your state tho, we've been recreational for almost a year.

cannabun rolls on the pellet cooker

6yYSvOVh.jpg

One of the nice things about sous vide is that you often have a fairly large window for how long to cook something. For example, if you set your cooker at 129*, you could put a steak in the water for 8 hours and it would never go over 129*.

However, the longer you cook something the more time it has to break down the proteins and connective tissues in the steak. While the steak won't ever go past a traditional medium rare, the texture will definitely suffer if you leave it in there too long. Here's a great article where they test different temps, times, etc. https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html

Yep yep, this is one absolutely awesome thing about Sous Vide.

Example, we've all been there before. You put a roast or something in the oven and it's set to be done at 7PM. That will be dinner time. Around 6:50, something comes up, whether it's a kid needing something, a neighbor or friend calls, the dog gets out, whatever. What do you do ? Do you turn down the oven and just try to hold the meat ? OF course it's going to over cook. Do you pull the meat a bit early and set it up on the stove where it will get cold and need to be reheated (and overcooked) later ? There is no real good option here.

With SV, you don't even have to worry about it. Steak or roast has been in for 2 hours and you have to run do something ? Just leave it be. When you come back, it will still be perfect.

Ah, another scenario that just came to mind. It's the weekend and you have friends over. You drop the steaks in so that they are ready by 6pm which is when you planned for dinner to start. Someone is late, or maybe you all are just having a great time and aren't ready to eat? Again, not a concern.

Looking good Hap! I've found that I get a better sear and less gray band around the meat when I go from the SV to an ice bath for 10-15 minutes and then sear once it has cooled down. Gives you more room for error on the sear and helps cool the exterior of the meat so it doesn't get overcooked in the searing process.

Kind of hard to get action shots on a 24 hr Sous Vide cook but just wait for the sear! About 16 hrs left.

kuQKE2i.jpg

xwfLrxd.jpg

Back