Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls and Bread on the Goldens'

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
It was time to feed the refrigerated Sourdough Starter yesterday. A recent YouTube video posted by The Regular Chef helped with the decision to turn the discard into Cinnamon Rolls.

After feeding the starter, it would have been sad to simply place it back into the fridge after rising so nicely. From the active starter I turned out a loaf of Sourdough Bread, recipe courtesy of The Clever Carrot.

JaSzPRv.jpg

DdXRXOt.jpg

Keeping with the BBQ Brethren spirit, both were baked out on the Goldens' this morning.

Cinnamon Rolls

Dough -

iMSi5Zp.jpg

Spreading the Cinnamon Sugar mixture -

eNvyI97.jpg

nhYZe2U.jpg

Into the Lodge CI Skillet for an overnight rest in the fridge -

oXIjWZu.jpg

After a 3 hour rise on the counter this morning -

Cf43nTz.jpg

Onto the Goldens' they go for about 35 minutes at 375F. It's set up indirect with two levels of grates so the baking is done high in the dome -

i6VFUcB.jpg

QtW5oVi.jpg

Done and resting, waiting for the homemade Cream Cheese Icing -

SYbNqWQ.jpg

6K6W1bl.jpg

j58wgul.jpg

Breakfast treat -

UhoWMt2.jpg

S6ruMqH.jpg

mXwlUQx.jpg

Ex7ZVge.jpg

xaPqSg6.jpg

These turned out darn good! Definitely a keeper of a recipe.

Let's turn to the Sourdough Bread. Dough was also made yesterday, left covered on the counter overnight to rise -

LQRAsDV.jpg

This morning I made use of a Banneton that took forever to arrive a while back from Amazon, utilizing it for final proof. I found that it really helps to keep the loaf shaped correctly, something I've had trouble with on past bread bakes.

I increased the temp on the Goldens' to 400F and added a water pan to hopefully help with some steam. First 20 minutes are baked covered, the remaining time uncovered -

slKNfr2.jpg

Getting the top to brown the way I wanted was a bit difficult. I realized too late that the best way (I think) with a Kamado to achieve browning is to close the top vent nearly all the way and open the bottom more. Doing so should create a circulation in the dome. Rather than risking overbaking, I fired up the oven and baked the bread for the last 5 to 7 minutes in it -

MDnvMZx.jpg

KHTQkXz.jpg

V9NF6Ut.jpg

It's not as dark as I would like, but I think it'll be fine. I haven't cut into it yet as it's still cooling, so no pics of the crumb.

Update: My wife asked if we were using this loaf for lunch and of course the answer was Yes. Since it had cooled sufficiently to cut into, some additional pics -

krSLxgP.jpg

LlOplrR.jpg

KLm5fgb.jpg

KAlWidN.jpg

Quite a productive morning for me.

Thanks for following through to the end of this post.

Regards,
-lunchman

Last edited:
Beautiful bakes. I am envious. I've been struggling with the starter for about 3 weeks now with success that does not look as good as yours. I switched to whole wheat flour about 3 days ago (from bread flour that produces next to nothing) both King Arthur. The whole wheat is doubling and nearly tripling but I do not get the bubbling you have. The consistency is more like semi loose peanut butter. Trying it for the first time on bread but it does not look promising. I do 1/2 cup each of water and starter and one cup of flour to feed for a 120g starter. Any help would be appreciated.

Outstanding in every way, Dom! Not sure which looks better, the cinnamon rolls or the bread, or the sammich.

Therefore, I'd like some of each. :thumb:

Beautiful bakes. I am envious. I've been struggling with the starter for about 3 weeks now with success that does not look as good as yours. I switched to whole wheat flour about 3 days ago (from bread flour that produces next to nothing) both King Arthur. The whole wheat is doubling and nearly tripling but I do not get the bubbling you have. The consistency is more like semi loose peanut butter. Trying it for the first time on bread but it does not look promising. I do 1/2 cup each of water and starter and one cup of flour to feed for a 120g starter. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

It's taken a while for my starter to get to this point (started in March ?). I keep it refrigerated, generally try to feed it on weekends and make use of the discard. Mine is just AP Flour, either King Arthur or store brand (Market Basket). I stir it to incorporate the liquid which floats on top, then use however much discard I need for the recipe.

I add equal amounts of AP Flour and Brita filtered water, usually about 100 to 110 grams of each. Stir it in, let it sit out on the counter for the day with the lid unlatched. Yesterday I caught it at the right time when it rose nicely but normally I stick it back in the fridge for the week.

I had a second starter with wheat flour going for a few weeks but it was too much effort keeping both fed. That one wasn't doing as well as this one so I tossed it.

-Dom

Thanks.

It's taken a while for my starter to get to this point (started in March ?). I keep it refrigerated, generally try to feed it on weekends and make use of the discard. Mine is just AP Flour, either King Arthur or store brand (Market Basket). I stir it to incorporate the liquid which floats on top, then use however much discard I need for the recipe.

I add equal amounts of AP Flour and Brita filtered water, usually about 100 to 110 grams of each. Stir it in, let it sit out on the counter for the day with the lid unlatched. Yesterday I caught it at the right time when it rose nicely but normally I stick it back in the fridge for the week.

I had a second starter with wheat flour going for a few weeks but it was too much effort keeping both fed. That one wasn't doing as well as this one so I tossed it.

-Dom
Thanks Dom. I'm about to toss my white bread flour starter and keep the whole wheat. Have one bread dough in the fridge just now while I'm pre-heating the oven and have my fingers crossed.

At what point did you put starter in frig. That is, how long did you grow it outside befor starting to put in the frig.

At what point did you put starter in frig. That is, how long did you grow it outside befor starting to put in the frig.

On weekends when I'm only using the discard, I'll feed it in the morning and let it sit out all day, usually putting it in the fridge in the late evening.

I keep a rubber band around the jar so i can keep track of the rise. Normally I'll see how much it rose and then fell, usually missing that optimum rise.

I'm no expert at this, still consider myself very much a sourdough rookie. This is my best loaf yet. As an fyi, this recipe does incorporate EVOO into the dough. Not sure of the effect but it didn't hurt.

Sorry, I might have misread your question. I'll leave the other answers in place.

When I first began this starter I left it on the counter and discarded and fed it every day for at least 10 days. It was at least 10 to 14 days old when I refrigerated it.

Thanks for following? It's the least I could do to acknowledge all of that hard work, I just apologize for doing the following with my tongue hanging out.
I have never passed up a good looking cinnamon roll and that batch stopped me dead in my tracks. Your cooks are amazing, so if you keep posting them, I'll keep looking at them!!

Back