Sometimes, those Youtube-guys get it right

LordRiffenstein

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Yoeri
There´s a few BBQ-related Youtube channels that I follow, always willing to learn. One of my favorites is Chuds BBQ, I like his simple, straightforward approach.

We were on holiday in France a couple of weeks ago and where shopping for food at the supermarket when I saw a nice piece of pork belly, bones in and skin ON. And then I remembered Chuds video about crispy skin pork belly. He explained that the simple trick was to dry the meat in the fridge, add a layer of salt on the skin during the smoking and finishing at high temp after removing the salt.

I decided to test this on the little Weber WGA that we had with us. Let the meat dry in the fridge for a couple of hours, seasoned it, except the skin and added a good layer of salt after putting it on the WGA. Smoked it for several hours until it was nearly ready. I had to improvise a bit compared to the video and ended up putting the meat skin-side down over the hot coals to crisp it.

It only took a few minutes to crisp up the skin and it was a total home run. The crunch of the skin was amazing.

Crispy skin

Cutting through the crunch

Chuds video

Brad is my favorite YouTube BBQ channel. I like when the mad bbq scientist and him work together. They work well together. People on Malcolm Reeds Facebook group have been asking for Brad to be on the How to BBQ right podcast.

Back