Some pics of food from the Yoder YS1500 and Assassin 28

unixadm

Take a breath!
I've been cooking some food over the past couple of days. I did a full tray of BBQ beans, three racks of St. Louis Spares and two tri-tips on the YS1500 yesterday. I started at 3:30 AM and had everything finished up by 9:45 AM. For the beans I smoked a fatty and a pound of bacon first. Everything was for a potluck and half way through the cook my power went out for 45 minutes, so things came to a halt. Thankfully I got everything restarted and the food still came out great. People loved the food - I'm still getting emails about it on Saturday. I used Simply Marvelous Peppered Cow on one of the tri-tips and my porterhouse seasoning on the other. For the ribs, I used Simply Marvelous Pecan rub (first time) along with KC Masterpiece Original sauce (brushed once). I started misting them with apple juice after two hours and never wrapped. After the ribs were done, I sliced them into individual portions and poured a mix of hot KC Masterpiece and Apple juice over the top to keep them moist while they held in a stainless steam pan until served I cooked the tri-tips for a guy who works for me since I had room to spare. I requested he get them from Costco, but he brought my grocery store ones and they still came out excellent, though a little on the dry side since they were really small cuts.

20140130_175355.jpg

20140131_074425.jpg

20140131_093038.jpg

Now onto today with the Assassin 28. I started a brisket flat just before 3 PM pacific and I expect it to be done within the hour. I trimmed a lot of the fat off of it, rinsed and injected with beef stock, worcester and a little seasoned salt. I then coated the outside with Simply Marvelous Peppered Cow rub, along with a little more salt. I let it sit for 30 or so minutes and then placed it into the cooker. I set the Stoker WIFI to 250 degrees using Stumps briquettes. For smoking wood, I'm using a mix of post oak, hickory and cherry. I placed the brisket in a foil pan at 168 degrees and am cooking to 205 degrees, though I will probe the brisket when it hits 200 for tenderness. In the pan I put some beef stock, worcester and some more rub. I then bumped the temp to 300 degrees because I'm getting hungry. I forgot I had it in the fridge and I needed to cook it.

20140201_144055.jpg

20140201_162703.jpg

20140201_190705.jpg

I'll post up some finished pics of the brisket when it comes off the cooker shortly. It might be great, it might suck - but I'll still post pictures. :)

Thanks guys.

I'm full and it feels good to finally eat something. The brisket came out very good, considering it's a flat from a grocery store. As moist as I'd expect an injected flat to be. Great smoke flavor as well. This is the first brisket on the Assassin and I don't think many people would be complaining. The Simply Marvelous Peppered Cow rub is awesome and the orange zest in it puts it in another league, just as it did on the tri-tip I cooked yesterday. I'm going to order more of this rub. I was right to add a bit more salt as well, but I'd give this rub the upper hand over my tried and true rub for brisket which is usually Plow Boys Bovine Bold.

Does anyone have some good sauces that well with beef? Most of my sauces seem to compliment pork, but I'd be interested in some good sauces for beef.

Forgive the messy bowl/plate picture, I didn't get to eat until almost 9:50 PM and I had to microwave the beans since I had made them yesterday for the potluck. I just kept a little in reserve for the weekend.

A solid and tasty meal.
20140201_215329.jpg

20140201_215814.jpg

20140201_220411.jpg

I think Stubbs Spicy goes great on brisket and beef ribs. Stubbs is non sweet and hearty bbq sauce

Thanks guys. The fuel miser was still hovering in the 180 degree range this morning when I woke up on no more than 10 pounds of fuel and 15 hours after I had started it up. I no longer choke the cooker off and instead just add a minimal amount of fuel to the chute and then let it burn itself out. I find it generates less condensation in the unit this way.

All told, this cooker runs like a dream. On my next cook I may try to run it without the Stoker. I'll just have to deal with the slow ramp up or preheat with a big weed burner first.

Back