Smoking salmon

BBQchef33 said:
ok, being I'm not a hunter or fisher(Go shoot something with this kid!).. I gotz a question for Tk.

Assuming stufs in season and within size restrictions, ...... why would you release a trout or salmon? Damn, I'd bring a smoke with me just ot cook next to the stream.
In Oregon, and probably most of the west coast, they are trying to rebuild native fish stocks. So are usually required to release natives, but can keep the hatchery born fish. And there are some rivers where the fishing is excellent, but you have to release everything you catch, in order to avoid overfishing.

There are always places to go where you can eat your fish.

As far as if they are steaks or filets? I am not sure
The steaks are a cross section of the fish. Like somebody was just slicing the fish like a sausage, and generally have the back bone and some ribs.

Assuming stufs in season and within size restrictions, ...... why would you release a trout or salmon? Damn, I'd bring a smoke with me just ot cook next to the stream.

Long story but I'll keep it somewhat brief:

1. Most of the abundant trout species (IMO - and depending where you catch them) aren't that good eating in comparison to salmon and MANY other fish species. Salmon on the other hand are best when caught from the ocean or great lakes, prior to spawning. Spawning salmon (at least out of the great lakes) are generally not good to eat, unless they are what is considered a "fresh run" fish (in the river only a day or so). Costco Salmon (farm raised Atlantics) are better tasting than any river run fish out of Lake Ontario. I am fly fishing in rivers, meaning the fish I'm catching are in spawning mode.

2. I've been fishing all of my life and in my earlier years killed about everything. As a youngster and into my teens and early adulthood, I always dreamed of someday catching large fish. Thanks to many years of learning and meeting people, it started happening. To be on a river and given the opportunity of battling trout from 6-17 pounds and salmon to 40 pounds, in the surrounding outdoor environment is spectacular. Therefore the least I can do, is spare that fishes life that granted me the thrilling opportunity.

You related to Jimmy Houston ? Have to agree with you on allpoints it's the fight and thrill of the catch, just like drawing a arrrow on a six point buck. Show me someone who says they have not gotten the shakes drawing on a deer and I will show you a farking liar. Great big adrenaline rush. Just like that first peice of....oh yea I'm in Q-Talk.

Tk.. best reason I ever heard. Was just curious.. now educated. Limit to my fishing is catchin little suns or catfish in a local pond with James.

It is hard to screw up salmon. Just keep your eye on it and don't overcook the stuff. Just about any way you fix it is fine. One of my favorites it the salmon recipe in the Smoke and Fire cookbook that uses dill. I would post more about this but the book is at my daughters house. I also use a light smoke wood like apple or pear and put the salmon on a ceder plank. The plank is good for a little flavor and the fish will not stick to the wood.

Is the sticking the reason behind the Cedar Plank ? Never seen or done it, salmon poor here in Texas.

Cedar plank salmon is OUTRAGEOUS!!!! I got dibs on Brian for the next trading post!!

Its a 3/8-1/2 inch thick plank of cedar, Soak it in water for anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours. I also add some lime juice to the water. Ya dont need alot of water, just enough on the pottom of a pan to moisten the plank and get it to soak in some moisture.

Lay the fish(I use the whole filet) on it and put the whle plank over hot coals or on a hot grill. Let it cook, the plank burns on the side facing the heat and a little on the edges, but the top stays intact, and the cedar flavor comes up thru the wood and into the entire salmon. IT IS FRIGGIN UNBELIVABLE!! Cooks in about 30 minutes.

Have to take your word for it, never had it in my life. Matter of fact the only Salmon I ever had was the POOPIE from a can. I'm shelterd.

Comparing canned salmon to fresh salmon is like comparing canned tuna to fresh tuna.

Back