Contest Results Smokin on Big Creek Top 10 results

As I flashed my beautiful brisket box at Andy on my way to turn in, he was still working on his. Was concerned that something wasn't right and had to work some magic. Nice 2nd place brisket, farker. I'm done taunting you with my turn in boxes. It only makes you stronger.

Proud of you. I've NEVER seen a 180 in chicken. That has to be the hardest category to get a 180 in.

Bunny - Way to rock that brisket! I'm glad you decided NOT to kill Rich Friday night.

Todd is that 2 flashes you made this weekend? I saw the pork flash you made to Phil! :-D

Huge congrats to Smoke on Wheels for the awesome show! Great potluck on Friday night at The Slabs camp! I met more Brethren at this comp than all the others combined, which was definitely the highlight of the trip. Thanks to Jeff and Stan for putting on a great contest!

First, Thanks to everyone for the kind words! What an amazing weekend. Before it even started, we were in for one of the best weekends of the summer. Arlin and Jean were coming up to hang, the Brethren National team was making an appearance, and Two worthless nuts were in town. Couple that with getting to see some other friends like Big T's, that came down to cook... ( and all our local friends) So it was going to be a fun weekend no matter what.

Getting a 180 in Chicken, is still a little unbelieveable to me... and winning a GC in that field of cooks really put me on cloud nine.

The trophy that Jeff and Stan were able to put together this year was absolutely amazing. That pig has to be the coolest thing ever! And to win it with all our friends there, well it fall is one of the top memories I'll have for the year, and we are only in April!!! One of the best moments for me was getting beaten in Brisket by KCass BBQ. Rich and Bunny will get to compete in the Chest to Chest this year with that win, and there isnt a more deserving couple out there. Way to go KCass!!!

Thanks to everyone that made P Hill happen; Jeff, Stan, and all the volunteers like MooCow BBQ, Early Bird, and all the others that were taking care of all the teams.

First off, congrats to Andy and Kim and girls. Great job as usual. Second, thanks to everybody for the great comments. We won't be invited this year to chest to chest. It'll be 2011, but that's fine. Maybe it'll work for the GAB. :roll: Anyhoo, we had a super time and it did feel pretty good to win the brisket category knowing what teams were out there. One of our finest moments.

Jeff and Stan and Tammy did a fabulous job! Thanks for all of your hard work!:clap2:

Rich and Bunny/KCass BBQ

Thank you to all that stopped by at Midnight to hoist a shot of Jack Single Barrel for our 10th Wedding Anniversary.

"Words cannot express how much I mean to this woman."

OK, it's LONG...

Wow.
Just. Farking. WOW.

This was our first time pit-bitching and, as U2CANQUE so aptly said, "You picked the right team to work with." :shock:

Congrats to all who worked so hard at Pleasant Hill, whether they got a call or not. My newbie comp dood hat is off to each of you! I guess I never truly realized how much work that all is.

HUGE congrats to Smoke on Wheels, of course. (you long-time compers can skip this paragraph - it's just a newbie's perspective) While sitting and waiting for the results to be completely announced the tension was incredible. The perfect 180 score on chicken fired up the GC hope right away but man, there were a LOT of repeat calls. When ribs came and went without a call we were bummin', but the overall calls kept going and going without mention of Smoke on Wheels. WTF? With three trips to the podium they HAD to be in there somewhere! Fifth, fourth, third... People started pointing at Andy and mouthing "It's you," and "You're da man". He ducked every time, not wanting to be jinxed! :-D RGC, and it wasn't Smoke on Wheels... We knew...THEY knew...EVERYONE knew. Kim handed me her camera. They unveiled the pig. They called our 'parents' to claim him. If the pitbitch could feel like I did, what were the cookers feeling like?!!! Here's the Grand Champion trophy in all its wooden glory:

PleasantHillGCPig.jpg

As far as our 'contribution' goes - even as lucky charms...
We missed important things like the shaving of the chicken skin and other meat prep, but we did get to see one HELL of a team do their thing on Saturday. Jean and I tried to help by staying the heck out of the way, mostly, but we got to see the level of effort that goes into championship BBQ - and it's amazing. Among other things we wanted to learn about logistics and flow and I was waiting for the tempo to jump up and for things to get frantic. It never happened. Andy & Kim were like hand and glove. Watching the quiet interaction between those two was more than worth the trip and it really gives us something to shoot for! Just in case we really WERE lucky charms, I Ziploc bagged all the clothes we were wearing that day and put them in the attic for safe keeping. Just say the word, Kim & Andy, and we'll be back in 'em and on the road! :becky:

Making the trip even more memorable was meeting some of the new Brethren like Poobah, Solidkick... After six farking YEARS I finally get to meet these two! :clap2: And I have some proof! Here's meself, HoDeDo, and our illustrious Grand Poobah:
ArlinAndyPoob.jpg

I met lots of folks for the first like the Giggler and U2CANQUE and Daedalus, and got to spend quality time with SO many others. A special thanks to my rye whiskey supplier. You know who you are! ;)

OK, enough babbling. The bottom line is I now have some appreciation of what goes into a competition and the comradery that's such a big part of it. People walking around with cups, borrowing ingredients; Todd, constantly flashing his meat when he walked by to turn it in...

Thanks to all who made this a hugely memorable event for Jeannie and me!

Arlin

OMG! Why am I not surprised...lol Congrats guys and everyone else who walked! Smoke on Wheels is hot!! Way to go!! See ya soon!!

Andy - I'm glad you were able to learn a lot from the class the week before P. Hill and be able to take home a GC. :clap2:

WoooooooooT!!! Congrat's Kim and Andy!!! And a big congrat's to all who heard thier names called.....looks like it was a great time had by all!!:-D

To add on to what Andy has said. I wanted to thank Shane and Vern & Cindi's son for putting up with/driving my girls around all weekend. They had a great time! Arlin & Jean - you are welcome in our camp anytime! Thanks for all the help!!!

That pork box was AWESOME! :thumb: Too bad the judges gave it 7's and 8's. :tsk:
That pork box was awesome. It looked killer. I got the flash too...

Andy - I'm glad you were able to learn a lot from the class the week before P. Hill and be able to take home a GC. :clap2:
:rolleyes: Whatever. BUNNY on the other hand went from student to teacher. we got schooled! Awesome brisket call.

OK, did anybody actually see Andy and the trophy together?:p I'm just sayin......
Yes, Harold does bare an uncanny resemblance to me.

Wow.
Just. Farking. WOW.

This was our first time pit-bitching and, as U2CANQUE so aptly said, "You picked the right team to work with." :shock:

Congrats to all who worked so hard at Pleasant Hill, whether they got a call or not. My newbie comp dood hat is off to each of you! I guess I never truly realized how much work that all is.

HUGE congrats to Smoke on Wheels, of course. (you long-time compers can skip this paragraph - it's just a newbie's perspective) While sitting and waiting for the results to be completely announced the tension was incredible. The perfect 180 score on chicken fired up the GC hope right away but man, there were a LOT of repeat calls. When ribs came and went without a call we were bummin', but the overall calls kept going and going without mention of Smoke on Wheels. WTF? With three trips to the podium they HAD to be in there somewhere! Fifth, fourth, third... People started pointing at Andy and mouthing "It's you," and "You're da man". He ducked every time, not wanting to be jinxed! :-D RGC, and it wasn't Smoke on Wheels... We knew...THEY knew...EVERYONE knew. Kim handed me her camera. They unveiled the pig. They called our 'parents' to claim him. If the pitbitch could feel like I did, what were the cookers feeling like?!!! Here's the Grand Champion trophy in all its wooden glory:

PleasantHillGCPig.jpg

As far as our 'contribution' goes - even as lucky charms...
We missed important things like the shaving of the chicken skin and other meat prep, but we did get to see one HELL of a team do their thing on Saturday. Jean and I tried to help by staying the heck out of the way, mostly, but we got to see the level of effort that goes into championship BBQ - and it's amazing. Among other things we wanted to learn about logistics and flow and I was waiting for the tempo to jump up and for things to get frantic. It never happened. Andy & Kim were like hand and glove. Watching the quiet interaction between those two was more than worth the trip and it really gives us something to shoot for! Just in case we really WERE lucky charms, I Ziploc bagged all the clothes we were wearing that day and put them in the attic for safe keeping. Just say the word, Kim & Andy, and we'll be back in 'em and on the road! :becky:

Making the trip even more memorable was meeting some of the new Brethren like Poobah, Solidkick... After six farking YEARS I finally get to meet these two! :clap2: And I have some proof! Here's meself, HoDeDo, and our illustrious Grand Poobah:
ArlinAndyPoob.jpg

I met lots of folks for the first like the Giggler and U2CANQUE and Daedalus, and got to spend quality time with SO many others. A special thanks to my rye whiskey supplier. You know who you are! ;)

OK, enough babbling. The bottom line is I now have some appreciation of what goes into a competition and the comradery that's such a big part of it. People walking around with cups, borrowing ingredients; Todd, constantly flashing his meat when he walked by to turn it in...

Thanks to all who made this a hugely memorable event for Jeannie and me!

Arlin
Arlin - you know you and Jean are welcome in camp anytime. And I am cooking alot this summer :thumb: Hopefully you make it to the GAB again, Gator will be in tow, and it promises to be fun. Thursday night will be the invitational cook... so come on out :cool::cool: But between now and then are 4 other contests.... change the oil and hit the road!

Arlin - now I just need to get you, Jean, and Jorge at the same contests... I need all the luck I can get at 4 more... :)

Congrats Andy and Kim! What a great weekend for SOW!

Congrats to Rich and Bunny on a great brisket win and everyone else who got calls and walked!

I have finally recovered I think!

Back