THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SmokinAussie

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne
Name or Nickame
Bill
G'Day Bruces!:becky:

Fridge dive yesterday.

Turned up a Wagyu I had bought around February this year which I forgot about and it's been in the fridge ever since. I was gonna toss it, but being the adventurous type I thought I'd see if it was on the nose.

P-20210725-155447.jpg

P-20210725-155501.jpg

Opened the pack, prepared for it to be stinking to high heaven.

Nothin. No smell at all. You can see from the colour it sure has aged. H'mm I thought. Maybe, just maybe I'll give this a crack. After all, I've got a week off in lockdown and this might represent a little excitement.:shock::wacko:

What could possibly go wrong....

So. Kept it simple. Smoked Celtic Sea Salt and Black Pepper.
P-20210725-155917.jpg

And left it in the shed for a few hours at room temp... just to push things a bit.
P-20210725-193044.jpg

Broke out the perfect instrument of choice...
P-20210725-193122.jpg

P-20210725-193130.jpg

On she goes!
P-20210725-193207.jpg

Fairly low heat, but it grilled up very quickly.
P-20210725-193618.jpg

Here's a pic showing my nicely cleaned up shed just before my impending death.
P-20210725-194444.jpg

Done and resting.
P-20210725-194658.jpg

One slice in: Shows I've overcooked it a bit. Too be honest, Wagyu needs to be more on the "done" side. I was shooting for medium to well, but overshot it a bit. Honestly it was that aged and tender I could have easily turned it to shoe leather.
P-20210725-195140.jpg

P-20210725-195202.jpg

P-20210725-195434.jpg

How was it?

Well to be honest it was not the best steak I've ever had. I think this proves you can take the aging process too far. There was not a lot of flavour in this but it sure was tender... so I ate it. It's a challenge after all.:cool:

P-20210725-200307.jpg

Then I retired to bed with thoughts that I might wake up through the night with rupturing bowels.

Nope. Slept right through. Woke up this morning. Had a think.

Did I just eat that and live?

Yep.

Not even a belly ache. Not even a smelly fart. I'm fine.

Have think about that fellas next time you leave something out on the counter for 5 minutes too long. Think of Smokin Aussie, and take the risk.:bow:

Cheers and Thanks for Looking!

Bill

Glad it turned out a success & you didn't end up with food poisoning! Love the Thai style mini-grill too. I've seen one locally for fairly cheap at the Asian market around here. It's been in the back of my mind as a purchase for some time now. Maybe I'll revisit the matter.

Glad it turned out OK My father one spring said he needed to go to his trailer at the shore to get a can of oyster. He had opened them about 5 months ago I would not let him

February of this year? Not 2020 or 2019 or even 2018. Heck, if it was February of this year, you didn't hardly even need to freeze it. Why would you even think of tossing it? :noidea:

Fridge... not freezer.

I kept reading thing you said freezer. Fridge ? :shocked: :shocked:

Nice shop!

Yep. Fridge.

And lived to tell the tale!

:bow:

I'm fit and well enough to be making a lamb curry for tonight! :thumb:

Full disclosure... but not too full... I have had a bowel motion today. Thought I was done and then, whoa. Another one! All good though. Nothing too unusual.

I think this means I'm indestructible. Not that I'm gonna give Andrew Zimmern a run for his money. That guy really is nuts. :crazy:

I am no expert. But i think if it was vacuum packed and kept below 40F (4.4C) and from the looks of it, it was cooked well done, aside from it possibly smelling/tasting bad, i think most of the harmful bacteria would be killed.
I wouldn't try that with chicken though.

Well you're from a country where everything is trying to kill you - all while upside down, no less - so I think you'd tolerate whatever that rump steak has to dole out better than the rest of us. Thanks for the reportage!

Back