Smoked Turkey Breast Bone In?

Mrshaunyd

Knows what a fatty is.
So after going to every store in a 50 mile radius all I could find is Bone In turkey breast which this year I wanted to do a texas smoked turkey but could not find boneless, should I de bone the turkey or would I be ok leaving it bone in? Also this is my first time going with turkey breast, after watching about snows bbq I have wanted to try this.

Thanks

Not sure whats out your way but I have good luck finding butterball boneless breast roasts. They are usually in the frozen food isle's year round. I have tremendous luck w them

Yeah i couldn't even find any of them, the tags were out for them but were sold out. Unfortunately with another partial lockdown looming people are buying things up in Michigan rampantly lol

I cook boneless turkey breast all the time and I always start out with bone in breast. Look up Franklin style turkey breast on YouTube and there’s a few videos that show an easy way to debone them.

I smoke bone-in turkey breast quite a bit. Usually takes about 3-4 hours or so for a 6-8 pounder. I dry brine ahead of time usually. I actually prefer the bone-in. Will be doing 4 on Thanksgiving.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

If you are looking to do TX style smoked turkey it will generally be done off the bone. If you can't find just the breast then cut off before brine/smoking. Here is my method:

1) Get large boneless breast from the butcher or buy breast on the bone or buy whole turkey. NEVER buy the butterball boneless turkey breast. It’s packed full of so much sodium and other stuff it really changes the flavor.

2) If still on the bone, remove.

3) Brine overnight in a basic brine.
Brine ratio:
1 gal cold water
1/2 cup kosher
2/3 cup brown sugar.

4) Pull breast, rinse and sprinkle with rub.
Rub ratio:
2 tbsp coarse pepper
1 tbsp kosher
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
(Makes more than you need)

5) Smoke 275 with oak wood until around 150 or about 2 hrs

6) Lay double layer of foil, 1/4 stick butter on foil, breast top side down on butter, place another 1/4 stick on top and wrap. Return to smoker.
(I had one breast where the rub got washed off so placed top side up last time)

7) Pull when 160. Leave in foil and rest for 30 min -1 hr minimum. Can remain wrapped in cooler all day. Do not let temp drop below 140

8) Carve against grain about pinky thick. Drizzle butter from foil on top and serve.

Last edited:
I am going to have to try that ....

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I will be cooking a bone in turkey breast as part of Thanksgiving dinner and was also wanting to cook it Texas style. This Turkey breast is being provided by another family member so it's what I have to work with.

I guess I will try de-boning it or maybe cook it as is. I'm still undecided.

If you have access to a Restaurant Depot you should be able to get it there. On sale for $1.95 lb. Comes in a box with 4 breasts, 2 cryovac packs of 2. Butterball or Jennie O brands. Love them

Attachments

• IMG_20200530_142926878.jpg
    IMG_20200530_142926878.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 147
I've been doing bone-in turkey breast for about 4yrs now. I still do a whole turkey every now and then for nostalgia but the bone-in breast has really become the go to on Thanksgiving.

I do breast on the bone for Thanksgiving as well. I don't cook it 'TX style' for thanksgiving though.

Just noting he was asking about TX style smoked turkey breast.

How do you prepare and cook your bone in breast?
I used to inject with creole butter and cook in my electric drum until last year, I dry brined and did on my Shirley. Once you try bone-in breast you may never go back. It won my family over. Good luck.

I love to cook bone in at home but we do some mighty fine boneless breasts at the restaurant. Brining helps a lot too but we've thrown them on the smoker 1/2 frozen and given enough time, they're awesome.

I ended up deboning 2 out of 3 left one to compare but once you debone one it’s pretty easy after.

Back