Smoked Pork Leg Roast For NYE

ssv3

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Sako
For NYE I wanted to do something different. Having had ham already a week before Christmas I chose to do a bone in roast in the Yoder.

Started with a 29lb whole leg

soBIwAHh.jpg

Had the butcher cut the hock off for later use. Plus the massive leg had to fit in my briner bucket

pr386V3h.jpg

Skinned and trimmed like an aero brisket

PF3dfOsh.jpg

And it brined for two days

VPt1qtIh.jpg

TX style and only seasoned with S&P. Into the Yoder

y01NFiUh.jpg

Uncovered for about 10 hours. Pulled it at 168*

luNXJlah.jpg

Vql2b2Dh.jpg

Carved it buffet style for everyone

1w5MtQkh.jpg

L36dG2ih.jpg

Insanely moist, nice smoke ring and super delicious. Everyone is still raving about it

2rNTKKbh.jpg

This morning I carved the last of it and made a breakfast style sammich

LDUS0Y5h.jpg

zNihowEh.jpg

2chvrbyh.jpg

N6o2Vnth.jpg

Thanks for looking! Endless smiles, full tummies and best $0.99/lb I've spent in a long time while keeping everyone super happy.

Happy New Year Brethren! Wishing you all a healthy and prosperous 2023!

Looks tasty.
Can I ask what was in the brine?

Thanks!

I had leftover Turkey Brine from Thanksgiving so I used it. Poultry flavors go well with pork also IMHO. I poked deep with a thin kabob skewer (those tiny metal ones with a loop at the end) every inch or so. That helped the flavors to completely penetrate and seasoning to soak all the way through.

I used Rodelle turkey brine. It's excellent stuff. This is what I've been using for the past few years and I've been really happy.

Salt, Sugar, Cranberries, Exhausted Vanilla Beans, Allspice, Apple, Black Pepper, Garlic, Orange Peel, Rosemary, Thyme, Bay Leaves and Sage

s-l500.png

That is one fine looking ham! Did you feel like the brine penetrated the middle of the ham sufficiently? I always wonder on such a large piece of meat.

That's just off the hook, Sako - best looking pork I've seen in quite a while! Definitely a different approach to a pork leg than the usual ham.

What was the tenderness factor?

Have you ever had a cook where nobody raves ? ...... Think not !!! Most excellent !!!

Yup! The impatient ones that have no clue about bbq and like their ribs oven baked and fall of the bone.

Thanks Mike! :grin:

Back