Smoked Mac-N-Cheese with Bourbon and Bacon

looks good any way you slice it....only thing wrong with the plated picture with the brats is that there was too much empty space..........needed more Mac and Cheese

That looks awsome. Where did you buy the meat for bacon. I'm guessing it's pork belly, but I've never seen where i shop.

WOW!!Only here a day already seeing some awesome stuff. How much Nutmeg,pepper, tabasco, and asiago cheese in the sauce?

It is indeed a pork belly for the bacon. This one I got from the local farmer's market. They have markets every Saturday here. I had to ask for it one Saturday and pick it up the next.

But I'm lucky here in Madison, There's a store that sells the end products from the Ag school at the UW just down the road. They have whole pork belly in their Freezer. You can also get whole pigs from there too.

One other place to check is the Asian Grocery. The one downtown in Madison always has 1-2 pound pieces in the meat dept.

If you liked this thread, please check out the "Cheese" Throwdown thread and consider voting for one of the entries this week: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90503.

Bourbon + Mac & Cheese. 2 of my favorites in one can't wait to try this. Looks sweet

Recipe for Cheese Sauce:

This time for 3 cups of dry elbow noodles I used:

3 cups heavy cream
1 Shot of bourbon
a pinch of Fresh Grated Nutmeg (1/16 of a teaspoon)
2-3 dashes of tabasco
4 ounces of grated Asiago by weight

Normally I'd do more like 6 ozs of Cheese for 3 cups of cream but I wanted to make sure the smoke flavor wasn't overpowered by Asiago. Also next time I'll either do 4 cups of cream to 3 cups of noodles or 3 cups of cream to 2 cups of noodles. I like my mac and cheese to have just a little "flow" fresh out of the oven or smoker as the case may be. This batch didn't flow. It sure tasted good though. The Colby/Jack cheese made a great topping for it. I had never used that cheese for Mac and Cheese before. Usually I go for sharp cheddar or american for the top.

Last edited:
It's more of a "technique" than a recipe, though the basic details are spelled out in post #29. Do you need something more specific than that?

BTW: I'm still trailing the tasty looking deep fried cheese balls by a handful of votes. Please check out the "Cheese" Throwdown thread and consider voting for one of the entries this week: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90503.

In my eagerness to reply to the thread, I missed the recipe! Thanks.

I placed my vote for you, but you're still trailing...

Back