THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clay-b-que

is Blowin Smoke!
I got the Amazen smoker for myself for Christmas. I smoked about 10 pounds of cheese last weekend and am patiently waiting for it to be ready. I also did Neil's Nuts but didn't like them too much. I have another pound of Almonds and want to try something else. Anyone have any other recipes I should try?

I got the Amazen smoker for myself for Christmas. I smoked about 10 pounds of cheese last weekend and am patiently waiting for it to be ready. I also did Neil's Nuts but didn't like them too much. I have another pound of Almonds and want to try something else. Anyone have any other recipes I should try?

I'll be anxiously awaiting for some answers on this as well. Was just talking about smoking some almonds the other night. I have just been tossing them in some melted butter, sprinkling some of my rub on them and tossing them again...then spreading them out in a foil pan with a lot of holes poked in the bottom. Smoke time has depended on how many I smoked (60-90 minutes). Open to suggestions on other methods.

Neil's Nuts... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=127891&postcount=1

1-3lb. bag raw almonds
1/8 cup Dale's Sauce
1/8 cup Soy Sauce
1/8 cup Louisiana Hot Sauce
1 TBSP Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce
1 TBSP Worcestershire Sauce
1 TBSP Hot Pepper Vinegar*

Mix all the above together in a large bowl till almonds are thoroughly covered and wet. Shake on some granulated garlic or garlic powder, cayene pepper, and salt and mix some more till almonds are coated. Dump almonds into a "grill wok" and place in smoker. Stir every 1/2 hour to 45 minutes till almonds are dry. For a doneness test I take out a couple of almonds and let them cool approximately ten minutes. If they are still a little moist inside leave them on longer. If they have good crunch, they are done. Usually takes 2 1/2 - 3 hours. Top of grill wok should be 2"-3" below bandera chimney.

Timely post. Haven't done almonds in quite a while and just happen to have the Big Joe going to cook some other stuff and I have a bag of almonds in the pantry. Did a quick Google and found this recipe. I've heard of using an egg white as the glue, but never tried it. So I beat an egg white, added maybe a TBSP of granulated garlic, couple tsp of kosher salt, couple splashes of Worcestershire, a bit of pick a peppa sauce and a sprinkle of Green Ghost seasoning. On to the Joe at 300 with some pecan for smoke.

Neil's Nuts... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=127891&postcount=1

1-3lb. bag raw almonds
1/8 cup Dale's Sauce
1/8 cup Soy Sauce
1/8 cup Louisiana Hot Sauce
1 TBSP Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce
1 TBSP Worcestershire Sauce
1 TBSP Hot Pepper Vinegar*

Mix all the above together in a large bowl till almonds are thoroughly covered and wet. Shake on some granulated garlic or garlic powder, cayene pepper, and salt and mix some more till almonds are coated. Dump almonds into a "grill wok" and place in smoker. Stir every 1/2 hour to 45 minutes till almonds are dry. For a doneness test I take out a couple of almonds and let them cool approximately ten minutes. If they are still a little moist inside leave them on longer. If they have good crunch, they are done. Usually takes 2 1/2 - 3 hours. Top of grill wok should be 2"-3" below bandera chimney.

I did these and didn't like them. In fact several people tried them and didn't like them. Looking for other recipes....keep them coming!

The egg white didn't seem to make any difference over using any other liquid. This batch needed some extra spice & garlic for my tastes, but pretty good.

The egg white didn't seem to make any difference over using any other liquid. This batch needed some extra spice & garlic for my tastes, but pretty good.

I have seen that some recipes call for soaking the Almonds in water and then adding whatever rub you want. May try this with some dominator!

I did some last weekend for the college bowl games. No real recipe, just kind of experimented based on ones that I have seen. I used a pretty good squeeze of honey, couple spoonfuls of sugar, melted about a quarter stick of butter and added some habanero death dust. Mixed all of that together with the almonds and dusted with some cinnamon. I did them in a half pan on the humphreys pint for about 45min at 250. Not sure what the measured amount of almonds were, but was enough to cover the bottom of the pan.
Turned out pretty good, little too spicy for the weak tho. Only thing I would do different is maybe ease up on the honey a little or try and thin the mix somehow - they stuck together as they cooled, but I just ate more per handful.
Not sure if that helps.

I have seen that some recipes call for soaking the Almonds in water and then adding whatever rub you want. May try this with some dominator!
I've seen lots of recipes say to soak them for about 10 minutes. The smoke will stick to them better. Just experiment with what you think you'd like. Maple syrup is good, Teriyaki sauce, bbq sauce, etc.

Where can I get the seasoned salt that Blue Diamond uses on their schmoked almonds?

I would also like to know how Blue Diamond gets that stuff to stick to the almonds in the first place, BUT their seasoning is wonderful, I want some.

To the member who wants to know where Blue Diamond gets there seasoning well that's pretty hush. I was a cook there for 8 years and cooked my share for them. I work at Diamond Walnut and have helped to get it close. As far as getting the seasoning to stick well at the temp plus the oil added then the seasoning it's all wet then left to dry.

I've seen lots of recipes say to soak them for about 10 minutes. The smoke will stick to them better. Just experiment with what you think you'd like. Maple syrup is good, Teriyaki sauce, bbq sauce, etc.

Seasonings will fall off after a short time in the heat and salt by itself, just doesn't want to stay on the surface of the almonds.

One of the keys to smoking nuts, is that both smoke and spice will adhere better to a wet surface on the nut.

Some recipes will call for wetting the nuts first with a sauce, flavored oil, or soaking the nuts in a brine solution for up to 8 - 10 minutes. An 8- 10 minute soak in brine/water is ideal for making almonds ready for smoking. The salt/rub/spice will melt onto the surface of the wet almonds and then recrystallize as it bathes in the heat. If the nuts are soaked for too long they will begin to swell and change the texture after they are after roasted and dried.

Last edited:
I followed meathead's recipe for soaking in water for 10 minutes. Drained and sprinkled w Weber chili lime rub. Rub coated nicely and didn't go anywhere when I cold-smoked them for about 1.5 hours. They were still a bit moist after smoking, so I finished them in a 225 oven for about 30 minutes. Tasted great.

Some may want to know how they are made at places,such as Blue Diamond, and Diamond Walnut/Enerald Brand.The almonds are ran through an oil roaster and fully roasted at 285 degrees. When they come out of the roaster they fall onto a cooling conveyor to cool to a warm temp not hot. They then pass through a,spray of oil that is made up of canola and rosemary. Then the seasoning is applied as they are wet from the spray oil. This how both companies I mentioned do them as I was a cook for years at Blue Diamond and currently run the oil rst for Diamond Foods.

Just curious - how soon after cooking did you eat the Neil's nut's batch? I personally like them a lot, but I have noticed that it takes a while for the flavor to settle after cooking, like at least a few hours. They don't really taste right for me coming out of the cooker, but very good after some time has passed.

DrewZ-You are on the right track by roasting 1st then smoking afterwards. To know if there ready to season break the almonds in half. Look at the white meat. The outside edge by the skin needs to have a lt tan ring. Once that is,achieved do your smoke and add your seasoning applyng it wet. Let dry. If you try to add seasoning as your cooking it will be mushy. Do them at home very easy cook 1st.

Just curious - how soon after cooking did you eat the Neil's nut's batch? I personally like them a lot, but I have noticed that it takes a while for the flavor to settle after cooking, like at least a few hours. They don't really taste right for me coming out of the cooker, but very good after some time has passed.

It was a long process. I mixed them, then smoked for 2 hours, then put in the oven for 30 minutes. They weren't done so I actually let them sit for about a week and they still weren't dry so I put them in the dehydrator last night over night and today they are finally crunchy. Flavor is okay but not incredible. The habenero death dust adds a great spice though!

It was a long process. I mixed them, then smoked for 2 hours, then put in the oven for 30 minutes. They weren't done so I actually let them sit for about a week and they still weren't dry so I put them in the dehydrator last night over night and today they are finally crunchy. Flavor is okay but not incredible. The habenero death dust adds a great spice though!
Did you cold smoke them? Or hot smoke them? If you cold smoked them, that's probably the problem. You need to hot smoke them, otherwise they will still be raw. I smoke mine at about 300 for 45 minutes to an hour, stirring a couple times so they don't stick together.

Back