Smoke on the Prairie - Brimfield, IL 6/13-6/14

Good to hear the emails are working for everyone.

Also good to hear 22 teams. That's 2 more than I last heard.

This will be my first competition so I'll give a beer to everyone that gives me some good pointers there. Team name is Moon King BBQ and we'll be the ones without our team name on anything. I figured I should probably get a couple competitions under my belt before going out and getting a banner with the name on it.

Come and see me if you have questions. The thing is to know when I am telling the truth or not. Also depending on how deep of questions you ask, you might want to wear wading boots.... ;)

cancersuckschicago.com I have a big shiny red pit.

I'll answer any questions, not looking for beer, just a catifish... Someone to swallow the whole BBQ hook... ;) I'll be next to QUAU.

Scottie

Good to hear the emails are working for everyone.

Also good to hear 22 teams. That's 2 more than I last heard.

This will be my first competition so I'll give a beer to everyone that gives me some good pointers there. Team name is Moon King BBQ and we'll be the ones without our team name on anything. I figured I should probably get a couple competitions under my belt before going out and getting a banner with the name on it.

Feel free to stop by at any time!

On Saturday morning I'll have a big pot of coffee to share so stop by for that if nothing else. It's usually ready by 6:45.

Captain Ron, can I reserve a cup of that coffee for myself as well? I think I'm gonna need it. Another brethren and I have teamed up as Hatfield and McCoy BBQ to take a swing at this whole KCBS comp thing.

Captain Ron, can I reserve a cup of that coffee for myself as well? I think I'm gonna need it. Another brethren and I have teamed up as Hatfield and McCoy BBQ to take a swing at this whole KCBS comp thing.

No reservation needed! Just stop by.

Come and see me if you have questions. The thing is to know when I am telling the truth or not. Also depending on how deep of questions you ask, you might want to wear wading boots.... ;)

Scottie

That almost sounds like sometime you speak the truth. . . Don't believe it.

Less than a week!

Anyone heard a recent team count?

I'm roasting coffee this morning and I am trying to get an idea of what I need.

This week's coffee is...

Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, Harfusa Coop, fair trade, organic

Cupping Notes:

1. Fragrance/Aroma: browned lime/lime zest. “7-Up.”
2. Brightness/acidity: Light citric acidity but perfect for cup.
3. Flavor/depth/nuances – Lime, light chocolates, tannins. Found ourselves salivating from it, pleasurable. Light berries.
4. Body/mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body.
5. Finish/aftertaste: Finished just as it began. Coffee doesn’t fade at all. Lime finish, and carries into aftertaste.

Subjective Evaluation: Extremely clean cup, very well processed. “Sophisticated.” A great late morning cup. Cupped the coffee black. Had it the next day, creamed. The lactose picks up the milk chocolate and accents it -- wonderful cup.

Besides coffee to drink I will have bags available for purchase for $12 (exact change appreciated). If you would like to pre-reserve a bag or two please let me know either in this thread, via PM or on Facebook.. I will hold bags until 10am on Saturday and if not paid for by then I will release them to others.

They have a list of 26 teams on their website that says "as of June 1". I'm guessing there'll be a few more than that.

The coffee sounds good. The coffee sounds good. If you do individual cups you'll probably be able to sell off a couple to us.

They have a list of 26 teams on their website that says "as of June 1". I'm guessing there'll be a few more than that.

The coffee sounds good. The coffee sounds good. If you do individual cups you'll probably be able to sell off a couple to us.

Nope... Not gonna happen. I refuse to sell you cups of coffee.

:becky:

Come on by after 6:30 on Saturday morning. Cups of coffee are free to friends and family! It's our competition tradition. I'll have enough with me to make 4 gallons, so there should be plenty! We have 2% milk, but if you need sugar you're on your own :-D

When you see an airpot sitting on the table like the on on the left, the coffee is ready. If there is only one under the brewer like the one on the right then I'm probably still working and haven't brewed it yet.

14373168432_86e0f085a6_c.jpg

I always wish I drank coffee when you're brewing Cap'n Ron , but I know Tim will be by! Plus I don't get up that early ;-)
See you all this weekend!

Terri
Shake 'n Bake

Congrats to a couple of brethen: The American Dream BBQ team on their Grand Champ (all the way from Oklahoma!) and Shake 'n Bake BBQ on Reserve Grand.

QUAU also scored a 180 in brisket.

Back