Smoke Gateway won't hook up.

Resurrecting this old thread to add a troubleshooting tip.

Yesterday I was using the Smoke for a cook and decided to make use of the gateway. No matter what I tried, it would not connect to the Thermoworks BBQ Android app. This has been working fine for two years or so and it was a bit perplexing as to why it suddenly wasn't connecting.

I deleted the gateway from the app and went through the pairing process again, actually a number of times, all unsuccessful. During the steps when it's supposed to be making a wi-fi connection with the gateway blinking blue, it was still blinking purple. I gave up after about an hour of fiddling but wasn't about to let this device beat me.

So last night I fiddled with it again. Same thing, purple LED. Then it dawned on me that about a week ago I had increased the Security settings on my Xfinity gateway from Medium to High. I reset it to Medium and this time the Smoke setup process completed successfully. I don't know what the Security setting actually changes in the Xfi gateway, probably something with port forwarding.

If you're having issues with Smoke gateway setup, this is another point to consider. There could be a router setting preventing successful setup.

Regards,
-Dom

We tried everything to get mine to work and nothing worked and the final resolution from Thermoworks was to give me 25% off of the Signals which after reading a lot of negative reviews, I decided not to get.

They just recently gave me a credit for the Gateway because I voiced my extreme displeasure with the whole situation and the product itself.

I decided to give them another chance and ordered the X4 today because even though I love how easy the smoke is to setup, the range in my situation is not good. I'm hoping this new thermometer will solve my range issues.

Like a lot of other people I had a problem getting my Smoke Gateway online, but I finally had success and wanted to make a post for the benefit of future searchers.

I had not used my Gaateway in about a year and my wifi setup at home changed. When I tried to get the Gateway hooked up it would usually make it to the end step where it said it was "validating wifi" but it would poop out there. I noticed at that point that it was flashing blue then purple, which is not part of the setup sequence description in the app.

I tried all the usual voodoo and then some, then gave up and contacted tech support.

It turns out that it needed a firmware update. Here is what support said:

Typically, when we see that the device will not connect to any Wi-Fi, then the device needs a firmware update. To confirm this, we can look at the lights on the front of the Smoke Gateway. If the lights are flashing blue, then purple, the device needs a firmware update. To perform the firmware update, simply wait for a blue flash, then press the button repeatedly until you see 5-7 rapid blue flashes.

I guess it was connected to wifi enough to download the firmware update, but not to work with the new app? Well, I am happy to report that this did work and my Smoke is back online.

I am unhappy to report that while researching this issue I realized I would rather have an expensive Fireboard, haha.

I hope this helps someone down the road.

Like a lot of other people I had a problem getting my Smoke Gateway online, but I finally had success and wanted to make a post for the benefit of future searchers.

I had not used my Gaateway in about a year and my wifi setup at home changed. When I tried to get the Gateway hooked up it would usually make it to the end step where it said it was "validating wifi" but it would poop out there. I noticed at that point that it was flashing blue then purple, which is not part of the setup sequence description in the app.

I tried all the usual voodoo and then some, then gave up and contacted tech support.

It turns out that it needed a firmware update. Here is what support said:

Typically, when we see that the device will not connect to any Wi-Fi, then the device needs a firmware update. To confirm this, we can look at the lights on the front of the Smoke Gateway. If the lights are flashing blue, then purple, the device needs a firmware update. To perform the firmware update, simply wait for a blue flash, then press the button repeatedly until you see 5-7 rapid blue flashes.

I guess it was connected to wifi enough to download the firmware update, but not to work with the new app? Well, I am happy to report that this did work and my Smoke is back online.

I am unhappy to report that while researching this issue I realized I would rather have an expensive Fireboard, haha.

I hope this helps someone down the road.

I'm glad that you got yours to work. We tried updating mine with no luck. It would not connect to my wifi no matter what I did.

I must have thrown mine away because I can't find it. I was going to try again just for the heck of it.

My Smoke X4 has been flawless and I like it way better than the original Smoke.

I just got a Gateway for Christmas and I cannot get it to connect for the life of me. I'm so frustrated but because it's Christmas Thermoworks tech is closed till tomorrow. Anyone else have any issue since the last post and have a fix?

Back