Smoke brisket on edge?

BBQ97229

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Name or Nickame
Mike
I have a small offset, want to do two 14 lb packers. If I lay them flat I pretty much cover the whole grate which will impede airflow, can brisket be smoked on edge? (Like ribs in a rib rack)

Care to opine on why? I am not a brisket guy, but don't some people hang them? Kind of seems like the same geometry.

Many moons ago I replied to a similar post about a brisket that was too long to fit on a BGE. I said something along the lines of 'stick a beer can under the brisket, and once it shrinks.... take the can out.

FUpWNFS.jpg

The guy writes back and said "...worked great, next time I'll use an empty beer can".

Many moons ago I replied to a similar post about a brisket that was too long to fit on a BGE. I said something along the lines of 'stick a beer can under the brisket, and once it shrinks.... take the can out.

FUpWNFS.jpg

The guy writes back and said "...worked great, next time I'll use an empty beer can".

Have done something similar with a big wood chunk, and oversized brisket, and a WSM 18" in the past.

I've used a rib rack 7nder the center of a large brisket to pull the ends 8n enough to fit on my KJ. The wires don't impede any air/smoke flow while lifting the center of the brisket

Nobody has answered the op, well, Smitty said no, but no one has offered an explanation as to why no on edge. Some insist fat cap up, others insist down (not in this thread, but a recurring theme everywhere), what you guys are all politicians and just refuse to compromise? What about the PBC hang everything pov, same geometry.
I want science people!

I think you’d have a hard time supporting it as it approaches prob tender. Prop the center up as Thirdeye’s example shows.

There’s a difference between hanging and standing, there’s yer science!

Hanging in a pcb has the same geometry as a rib rack... but that's as far as it goes.

Hanging briskets in barrel is one thing. Heat rises normally, cook has a lot of radiant heat.

I would think that side standing briskets could impede airflow on a "small offset" - convection /heated air is basically all you have to work with.

Back