smoke all the brisket or don't bother?

BriGreentea

Knows what a fatty is.
Hello,
I've smoked several briskets since using butcher paper. Last one I smoked a 12 pound brisket overnight on my wsm. (risky but it worked)
Put some garlic butter spray on it when was about 160, wrapped it in the paper for an hour or so then checked it a couple times until over 200 and my manual thermometer slid in easily. Wrapped in a blanket in my ice chest for a couple hours, took it out, tossed the paper and was the best brisket I've ever done.

Weeks later comes Sunday and bought another packer but this time didn't want to smoke the whole thing so I just did the flat...save the point area in plastic wrap in the freezer, then defrost it for later use.

The points haven't been a issue as much as flats which have been decent to dry and it was really dry this time to the point hardly edible.
Then dawned on me maybe I shouldn't be doing this unless I'm using a crock pot and pretty much have to cook the whole thing otherwise I'm not going to yield the results needed?

I only do this if I don't have guests over or my wife is busy so it's just me and that's a ton of leftovers so that's why I wasn't cooking the whole packer. Thanks.

Get a vacuum sealer. Cook whole brisket. Cut in chunks, vacuum seal individual chunks, freeze. This way you can have fresh brisket as needed.

I would think when doing just a flat, that maybe using foil to wrap instead of paper would work better. Instead of going to paper when you hit the stall.. use some HD Foil, spray the meat down like before, but this time add some beef broth or water at the bottom of the foil, wrap it TIGHT and finish the cook that way. Get more of a moist pressure cook that way. It may keep it more moist.

Just a thought if you really do want to just smoke the flat. OR do what PJ said (fabulous idea i have never thought of).

rb

rus has a good point. if you cook just the flat you will want to wrap it sooner than normal. you might sacrifice a little on the bark but it will be a better result. you could also get lucky and find some 7 to 10LB briskets to cook. those are my favorites as i am mostly feeding myself and freezing a couple of pounds for my daughter to have later.

Back