Small event wing cook

grindstaff3

Knows what a fatty is.
Hey all,
cooking some wings for a charity hot wing contest in a few weeks. I have a couple fryers to use. Anyone have any tips on how to prep and cook them?

Thanks!!
Paul

I really like to do the smoked wings. We have an annual family fish fry, and I always smoke a bunch of wings ahead of time. I bring them cooked and cold, and then just drop in the fryer for a few minutes to warm and crisp up. Then butter and seasoning! I prefer a dry rub generally, and they are a hit. Good smokey flavor, but your fryers can add that crunch that people want.

If you intend to fry a lot of them watch your batch size and oil temp levels especially with smaller fryers. If you overload the fry or don't give a smaller unit time to recover your cooks will be very inconsistent.

That said for Deep Fried wings I'm all for a spice rub and into the tank then a sprinkle of seasoning when dump'd out on the moisture rack then a sauce toss.

I'm cooking for a charity event in a month and will be smoking them. We smoked 200 lbs for this event last year and came in 2nd place in the judging. We use 4 UDS smokers and stack 3 grates toward the top of the smoker. Smoke them at around 275 until they're done. A team beside us pre-smoked their wings the day before the event and were just heating up wings on the day of the event. Their wings were good as well.

Back