THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phrasty

Babbling Farker
Ok Guys, Thanks so much for such a great welcome. In return a small token of my appreciation: Here's a great version of authentic Jamaican Jerk seasoning. With what's supposed to be in there... no personal touches or special ingredients like rum, soy, mustard.... (these things just weren't available at the time.

This make about 2/3 cup of a wet rub/ paste.

6 Spring Onions (escallion)
1-3 Scotch Bonnet peppers (Depending on how hot you want it.)
2 tsp Allspice berries or 1 tsp ground allspice (Pimento)
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 tbsp dried thyme
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp grated nutmeg
1 tsp brown sugar
1.5 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup cane vinegar or distilled (white) malt vinegar
1 tbsp oil

Combine everything in a mortar and pestle and mash, discard any large bits of seasoning (spring onion) and apply to meat. Or you can reduce in a blender to a paste. Cook low and slow (indirect or smoker if possible) Smoke with allspice wood (pimento wood), again if possible.

This seasoning is great with chicken, burgers, fish and especially pork. You can make this as hot or mild as you want with the scotch bonnets, don't worry it tastes great either way. As for cuts of pork to use... You can use loin, chops, or a picnic ham/ shoulder. But if you really wanna be authentic like what you get at jerk spots in Ja.. you don't cook it bone in.. you de-bone it and butterfly it out to end up with a broad flat slab of meat avg 2-3" thick (leave what fat you can on the meat. it will render down and self baste).

Another option is to get a full bacon cut from the belly, about 8 x 12" skin on make cross slits in the meat about 2" apart and 1/2" deep) and lightly score the skin too. Season with the jerk seasoning (I put some extra salt on the skin). I sear the meat over direct heat briefly to seal it then cook indirectly and smoke with allspice. When its almost done turn skin side down over low coals and MONITOR CLOSELY.... IT WILL BURN, but if done correctly you'll get the most amazing cracklin/crispy skin ever!

Well thats all i have to say about that... I think. Hope you guys have some great experiences with this recipe. It's worked for me.

P.S. For those who can find pre-bottled jerk seasoning online (and i know its there) IMHO "Walkerswood" Jerk Seasoning & marinade are the best.
http://www.redpeppermall.com/Walkerswood-Jamaican-Jerk-Marinade-pr-16187.html
http://www.redpeppermall.com/Walkerswood-Jerk-Seasoning-10oz-pr-16186.html

Oh yeah, heres also an online source for some Pimento wood chips. I dont think they are big pieces but hey, i'm sure its better than nothing.
http://shop.pimentowood.com/product...44A49A4973E07B6C68072905.qscweb21?productId=2

Cheers.

Thanks a bunch this is going to be fun! Pictures and a recipe both you may make hero status quickly. GRiN

Thank you much Phrasty. This is a recipe I like. All of the ingredients are in my kitchen, except the pimento wood. That may be a challenge.

Jek is one of my favorite grilling sports. I wish my wife liked hot and spicy, but I only get to make it if I have friends over who will assist in devouring the fixins. Thanks for the recipe. I'll try it soon.

Sweet, man. Thanks a bunch for sharing. I'm going to have to give this one a go. It may offer a great twist to my "standard" Q fare. Wonder how Jerk PP sammies would go?

I've settled on the Walkerswood Jerk Marinade, it seens to get into the meat real well. I haven't tried the paste, I have used Grace Jerk pastes Hot and Mild, flavorful, but burns on the grill.

Been using Walker Woods for about 8-9 years now. we have a Caribbean grocery in the next town and we buy 6 bottles at a clip. Can't recall the price but I think itwas about $6 a bottle. GOOD STUFF.

I've been using Walker's Wood for a long time also.

Bought a big bag of pimento chips several months ago.

I usually jerk chicken thighs, mainly because that's what the local Jamaican joint does.

Have been using pork tenderloin or country style ribs, but I look forward to trying the loin and bellies.

Thanks Mon!

Hope all is irie with you - respect!

That is pretty much the recipe that I use but I can never seem to get it spicy enough. I've used as many as 6 scotch bonnets and I have also substituted ground habenero powder but the smoke just seems to mellow the heat.

I have also added some lime juice to the mix on occasion.

That is pretty much the recipe that I use but I can never seem to get it spicy enough. I've used as many as 6 scotch bonnets and I have also substituted ground habenero powder but the smoke just seems to mellow the heat.

I have also added some lime juice to the mix on occasion.

Cayenne stands up through the smoke. Not as intense as hab, but it is there. A secret sauce hint for you Mista, I use OJ in my marinade.

I finally got around to making this and it was quite good!

It's not a clone of the Walker's Wood that I normally use, but my son and I liked it a lot.

I couldn't find Scotch Bonnets, so I substituted Habaneros - three big ones, ground up seeds and all, so it was plenty hot enough!

I also just used regular distilled white vinegar - does using cane or malt vinegar make that much of a difference?

I cooked six big skinless thighs indirect on the kettle for about 90 minutes, with some pimento wood on the charcoal for the smoke flavor.

Thanks for the recipe mon - wish I still had some of my Appleton's Estate to go with it...

This is a killer recipe. I made a few tweaks, like adding some rum and garlic, and using hickory since it was all i had, but this was beyond my expectations. I was planning on doing some ribs, but the store was completely sold out. So I went for some chicken. Now I have a new go to recipe. Plus chicken's way cheaper, serves more people, and cooks much faster. Thanks.

Hickorywithlumps.jpg

PhotoMay3172814AM.jpg

PhotoMay3172827AM.jpg

Sorry no pics of the finished product, it was quickly devoured before any pics were acquired.

Last edited:
Back