Slightly regretting my choice not to use my Pellet grill….

Dweverett

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Bill
Smoking a pork butt this morning and decided to at least start it on the Weber with S&S. Might have been a good idea to check the weather, or at least look outside. Not nearly as bad as a lot of places but it’s 14 degrees. Not a big deal, go out to to prep the grill and can’t get through the gate because we had freezing rain/fog last night. Okay, fight with that for a couple minutes, get to the grill and notice it has icicles hanging off it. Not an issue, it’s not frozen shut. Did turn out that some of them were hanging off the bottom of the handle though — ow. Daisy wheel and ash sweep are both frozen shut, okay, will deal what that while it warms up. Finally, had forgotten that the last cook was a big pile of Oakridge BBQ’s jerk chicken which is awesome but leaves a bit of a mess.

Thankfully I’ll probably survive. Waiting for it to come up to temp now.

#thestruggleisreal, #firstworldproblems

2023022507100779-3480034937761276627-IMG_8236-XL.jpg

2023022507100779--483941710066202992-IMG_8237-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Fo...2507100779-185347626605481053-IMG_8238-XL.jpg

Didn’t get around to trying it until today — seemed a little more bland than normal, not sure if I went lighter on the rub or what happened.

Did have one more weather related challenge. I went to use the Rectec when the charcoal ran out since I already had good smoke on it and it wouldn’t light. Something weird is going on, I don’t think the issue is the igniter itself. I need to run a couple tests but I suspect something might be going wrong in the shutdown routine.

Anyway, when I tried to manually light it I realized that the torch was left outside too and both the knob to turn on the gas and trigger were frozen solid. Fortunately it warmed up pretty quickly when I took it inside and started working.

You battled through the weather like a champ. Not gonna lie, if it were me in those icy conditions I'd have hit the butt with some smoke for 3-4hrs and then took it inside to the oven. Nice job.

You battled through the weather like a champ. Not gonna lie, if it were me in those icy conditions I'd have hit the butt with some smoke for 3-4hrs and then took it inside to the oven. Nice job.

Honestly, the slow and sear in the kettle is really stable so once I got past the initial problems I only had to adjust the vents one time as it got up to temp and then one other time as it was burning down. A far cry from those that actually have to stay outdoors running a stick burner.. And had it lit, the Rectec basically would have been about the same as putting it in the oven.

Back