THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I would try both. Weed burner and a log splitter are almost necessities. Also lump burns hotter so may work better than charcoal. I put the lump and charcoal on at the same time.

Terry, make sure there's enough charcoal bed underneath your initial splits. That's the only way I start my LSG stickburner these days. I never used the gas assist anymore because I like to minion from the top using my charcoal basket with generous proportion of wood, or at the very least a good coal bed underneath my splits.

I run my gas for 2 minutes to start my chimney starter, then let the chimney light the rest itself. Using the burner to start your log means you have to run it for 20minutes. I'm cheap that way.

I never run straight splits anymore. Way too much work and I burn too much wood. Again, once I start doing some catering, I have to take cost into account.

My bbq does not taste compromised with 60-40 charcoal wood.

I sealed the damper vent with aluminum foil, because I let Stoker handle my temp.

Sounds like I didn't start with enough charcoal. I was trying to do the seasoning burn in, and I didn't want to make too big of a fire. How do they start it if they don't use charcoal at all?

I'll have to try again tomorrow. Need to go help the wife at her job now. I'll have my laptop and will post all my pictures from today later tonight.

Ritch from Gator Pits has a video of him demonstrating cooking on his offset [ame="http://youtu.be/PamDdTHZEE4"]rich robbins[/ame], he put 2 splits parallel to each other about a foot apart, then 2 more parallel to each other but perpendicular to the first two. Boys scout style. Imagine a hash mark.

Then he runs his gas assist for 20 minutes making sure they're lit.

That's too much gas wasted to me.

I get my charcoals once a year during Memorial Day or Fourth of July for about 26c/lb. Cuts down on my propane refills.

Sounds like I didn't start with enough charcoal. I was trying to do the seasoning burn in, and I didn't want to make too big of a fire. How do they start it if they don't use charcoal at all?

I'll have to try again tomorrow. Need to go help the wife at her job now. I'll have my laptop and will post all my pictures from today later tonight.

Thanks for the video. A little afraid to use my gas assist for this burn as I need to bake the paint and don't want to blister it up...

Ok, I said I would post some photos...

So, after the long day yesterday, we got her set up in place, got her sprayed down inside with 3.5 cans of Pam, but then wrapped her up for the night. Here she is in her cover. Not exactly the color we were looking for, but it will do.

IMG_3697_zpso0msaitr.jpg

A view from the deck. Will be cutting an opening for easier access tomorrow. (New deck in the plans soon...)

IMG_3698_zpsospjqejy.jpg

Here she is undressed...

IMG_3699_zpspxkxovyo.jpg

Ordered this custom opener online...

IMG_3701_zpsid142zl6.jpg

Table up...

IMG_3704_zpspj4u9gip.jpg

Nice big therms that I can read from the deck. For now...

IMG_3706_zpsc5cfjhtw.jpg

The main smoking chamber...

11692720_1132456440115953_6144902748193188024_n.jpg

Sausage hangers in the main chamber...

IMG_3707_zpspn7vuaxa.jpg

Close up...

IMG_3708_zpseudpnka8.jpg

Tuning plates...

IMG_3714_zpsamexgr7w.jpg

Oven and firebox...

IMG_3709_zpsjjfeayrr.jpg

More sausage hangers in the oven...

IMG_3711_zpskl17sx9w.jpg

Time to fire her up and season the paint. As you read above, this is not enough charcoal...

IMG_3715_zpsmqx8jyma.jpg

Flame on...

IMG_3720_zpspspuy6qq.jpg

Getting there...

IMG_3723_zpsm2hwgcr3.jpg

Almost there...

IMG_3726_zpsse7a57de.jpg

All doors open so she can breathe...

IMG_3727_zpsgzbf2gcd.jpg

Coals got good, so I added a couple splits and shut her up except all vents open...

IMG_3728_zpsnaozam3s.jpg

Splits starting to catch fire.

IMG_3730_zpshkelqqk6.jpg

IMG_3731_zpslx3cj7ss.jpg

While the fire was slowly dying, I built this wood rack based off a suggestion from a friend. Works for me...

IMG_3732_zpsxe9joq7w.jpg

Beautiful cooker! I would cut a few of those splits in half to see how they do vs. the bigger ones. Probably help you get the coal bed started sooner. Also, I would get those away from the house. Is that a 5" therm?

PJ, I don't think they are 5". I would guess three. Paperwork at home, so I can't look it up right now. I can't really put the wood rack on the fence side as it is pretty steep by the fence. What is the risk? Bugs? I made sure there is a gap between the rack / wood and the wall.

Termites, not sure how big a risk though. Just always been told to keep it as far from the house as possible. That being said mine are about 20ft from the house.

Back