Silly Turkey Breast Question

BigKing

Full Fledged Farker
So I'm doing a nice prime rib in the PBC for Christmas dinner but I was told that my sister and grandma don't eat beef and require poultry. It's my first prime rib so I don't want to screw up this pricey cut by worrying about smoking something else at the same time.

Anyways, I looked for uncooked turkey breast at Costco when buying the prime rib and I could only find cooked ones. Bought an "oven browned" small breast and figured I would just toss it in the smoker. Directions on the packaging say to put it in a pan in the oven at 350 degrees with a 1/2 cup of water for maybe an hour and a half so I'm thinking that I can just put it in the PBC at ~275 and it will be fine, just like if I put an already cooked sausage in there.

It's just an outdoor oven with smoke, right? Do you guys think this will taste okay? I'm not going for amazing or anything: I just want it to be passable. Issue is I won't be able to have it in a pan but I'm thinking the PBC environment won't dry it out.

It will be fine. Smoke will be light, but some will stick to the skin, and permeate the juices. Dump the juice in the turkey gravy and you'll be golden.

If it were me, I would lay some tin foil flat, place dollop of butter down, then breast on top, then dollop of butter on top then wrap in tin foil. Throw it in the smoker and pull when it hits 150. After you slice, pour some of the butter from the tin foil on top. You'll be a hero!

Reminds me, I need to buy a turkey breast for my sister who doesn't eat beef..

If it were me, I would lay some tin foil flat, place dollop of butter down, then breast on top, then dollop of butter on top then wrap in tin foil. Throw it in the smoker and pull when it hits 150. After you slice, pour some of the butter from the tin foil on top. You'll be a hero!

That's a win! :-D

Really appreciate the feedback. Grandma just dropped out of coming over so now this is all just for my little sister. Imagine passing on prime rib.

I like the wrap with butter idea. Think I might let it roll naked for a bit first to try and pick up a little smoke and then wrap it up.

This sounds pretty spot on.

Back