Should I get a Weber 22.5" gold?

150 is the going price. Yes you will love it. I use the snake method most and love it for smoking. I also bought the baskets with it. Then I bought 4 fire bricks and I never use the baskets. If I want to grill 1 steak I set the 4 fire bricks in the center and form a small square. Dump a chimney of hot coals in the center and sear away. Can also divide the grate for the minion method using the fire bricks. The 26" OTG would be even better. Happy Cooking!
No need for the fire brick for one steak. Get a 2/3 full chimney of coals hot and put a small cooking grate on top of the chimney.

Its just about a year since I got my OTG and its been great, I can easily cook enough to feed 6 people, getting ready for a party is the only time I could use more space, been eying a smokey mountain for that :)

I have a SJS, I'd it possible to make a smoker out of it?

Oh i didn't see where he wanted more grilling space? Anyways he probably has no idea about the mini. I'd take mine over a full size grill any day of the week and twice on Tuesdays.

For smoking area he'll have the same cooking area considering loading up charcoal via snake method or on one side. Also peeps aint NO WAY i'd choose to smoke a brisket on a kettle personally....not saying it can't be done.

On the other side of the coin the mini is a way better smoker/cooker than kettle smoking could ever be using a fraction of the fuel.

I'd add the big kettle is good to have, it just wouldn't be my first purchase especially since he already has a SJ.

I have a SJS, I'd it possible to make a smoker out of it?
Heck yea you can. Someone might be able to find you a good deal on a 32qt tamale pot. Vasconia is the best fit but Walmart is sold out currently and Imusa is hit or miss on the best fit. Amazon got to be a rip off because so many people made mini's and the price skyrocketed.

If you can get a pot for about 30 bucks then you're almost there, just need some simple hardware and you'll have the best little smoker you can imagine.

You'll want a 12"x24" piece of expanded steel from lowes to wrap around the charcoal grate to make a basket.

I was grilling 10 lbs worth of wings last Sat for a small group of family and friends on a 22" otg and just wished I had a second 22" next to it or just a 26" instead. They were gobbling wings faster than I can dish them out.

You are not making them hot enough then...put half a bottle of Death Nectar in your sauce and it will slow them down a tad!

My American Legion Riders group does Hot Wings for a fundraiser every first Sunday during the summer. I have slowly been stepping up the heat each month...but still had everybody saying they wanted more heat every month! We are switching to Homemade Chicken & Noodles for the winter so I figured it would be long enough for them to forget if I kicked it up to the max! I dumped a 3/4 bottle of Death Nectar in and it got the job done...got lots of compliments...we also sold more beer than usual at the bar that day:twisted:

As far as the 22.5 there is also the silver model for a few bucks less with the same real estate. Using your Weber Chimney you can have charcoal up and running pretty quick...if absolute speed is a must the Weed Burner can't be beat. This burner Rocks!
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Max-500G-Propane-Torch/dp/B00282LP34/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1410829075&sr=8-2&keywords=propane+torch+weed+burner"]Hot Max 500G Big Max 500, 000 BTU Propane Torch - Oxypropane Torches - Amazon.com@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/3103D4nMAQL.@@AMEPARAM@@3103D4nMAQL[/ame]

I agree,on the 26er...

I have only used my 22.5 Performer to hold the lump in the storage bin since I bought the 26.75 in March. The extra area of the 26er is great for grilling and the snake method makes smokin' easy as well.

Heck yea you can. Someone might be able to find you a good deal on a 32qt tamale pot. Vasconia is the best fit but Walmart is sold out currently and Imusa is hit or miss on the best fit. Amazon got to be a rip off because so many people made mini's and the price skyrocketed.

If you can get a pot for about 30 bucks then you're almost there, just need some simple hardware and you'll have the best little smoker you can imagine.

You'll want a 12"x24" piece of expanded steel from lowes to wrap around the charcoal grate to make a basket.

Alright, I will look for a 32qt tamale pot.

$30 for the pot. I will be on the look out.

I agree,on the 26er...

I have only used my 22.5 Performer to hold the lump in the storage bin since I bought the 26.75 in March. The extra area of the 26er is great for grilling and the snake method makes smokin' easy as well.

Will I be able to do a long smoke session with the 22.5"? or do I need the 26.75"?

You will be able to do a long snake smoke on the 22.5 and it will work well. Just the 26.75 is a bit better...:thumb:

^^ Agreed. I've used my 22.5 in a snake method for at least 6 hours before adding more lump. Granted it won't run a full packer without a refill, but it certainly works. I've used my 22.5 OTG in as many configurations as I can imagine, and still looking for more. Just used the roti yesterday for two 6 lbs birds at 375F. Came out just about perfect. I'm convinced the 22.5 OTG may be the most versatile charcoal cooker at there, at least for the price.

Will I be able to do a long smoke session with the 22.5"? or do I need the 26.75"?

Using the snake method, like in that link, I have no problem getting 11 or 12 hours out of mine, running at 225° to 250°. I'm sure I could get longer burns, but I haven't had a need to go any longer than that, so I haven't really tried to push it.

(And I agree with UF Aero about the versatility.)

^^ I'm convinced the 22.5 OTG may be the most versatile charcoal cooker at there, at least for the price.

The kettle is versatile but the most versatile and best price has to go to the Big Poppa UDS although it takes assembly.

No question about it. Buy it. You will not regret it. It's one of the most versatile cookers out there. Plus it's a great company to deal with.

[/SIZE]
He has already got a SJ but wants more grill space. As much as I love my mini, it ain't cookin' a brisket, which can be done in a OTG.

I cooked a 11# packer on mine the weekend before last all I did was fold it and then flip it. Sorry I had to throw my .02 in.

I tryed to locate that diagram that shows all the different coal set ups for the kettle but could not find it. Anyway there are alot of ways to bbq on the otg's depending on how you arrange your coal.
This one?
www-bbqviking-com-charcoal-setup1.png

This one is my all time favorite. It's just this simple to cook indirect and the kettle has been doing for a long time. Look at those daisy wheel vents..
weber.jpg

Those are great Dads. Wish I had those about 13 years ago when I had a kettle...

Back