Shhh Chilli secrets revealed.

Sounds great!
I have some hot Elk sausage that would go great with this.

And Beans!! :mrgreen:

To whomever suggested chocolate and cinnamon :puke: You must be from Cincinnati

Love kidney and black beans in chili.

My recipe is usually made with ground beef and pork. Switched it up this weekend and used a pork butt I smoked and froze a month or so ago, along with ground beef. Came out amazing. My recipe usually turns out a little on the loose side but the shredded pork tightened this batch up a lot and added great flavor. Will do again

I have never added chocolate or cinnamon to chilli. As for the bean.. I will admit I have added a few to this just apease some when I make it.. But I still say No Beans hahah

I hope some one does... I would love some feed back.. I know locally all the cook offs I have gotten 1st and 2nds..with every one always wanting me to make it

Hmmm... That looks like a lot of tomato product in there to me. I like mine with more of a chile flavor so I use a bunch of various chile's. But I do agree.... No Beans!

Below is my basic recipe

Ingredients:
2# ground chuck
2# ground pork
2 tbl olive oil
½ cup red wine
2 cups beef stock
2 cans crushed or diced tomatoes (28 oz)
1 can tomato paste (6 oz)
2 anaheim peppers (seed & fine chop all peppers)
6 jalapeno peppers
2 serrano peppers
2 red finger peppers
2-3 large white onions (medium-fine chop)
8 large cloves garlic (minced)
½ tsp red chili flakes
2 tbl dried oregano
2 tbl dried basil
2 tbl ground cumin
1 tbl gray sea salt
2 cans red kidney beans (19 oz, rinsed)
2 cans black beans (19 oz, rinsed)

Prep:
Brown meat in olive oil, drain. Add remaining ingredients and simmer covered 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Garnishes:
blue corn tortilla chips
chopped green onions
avocado slices
shredded jack cheese
crème fresh or sour cream

I usually modify the recipe depending on what peppers are at the store. Usually double or triple the recipe. Put a couple habaneros in this weekends batch. I go for a wide range of peppers for their heat ranges, flavors, and colors. Don't sauté them because that causes them to lose both color and a bit of crunch. Same with the onions and garlic.

Usually toast whole cumin seeds and grind them up with a mortar & pestle. There's something about toasting that releases much more fragrance and flavor.

Prefer soaking dried beans and cooking them separately but canned work fine.

You can substitute a dark ale or stout for the wine but I don't recommend that unless the entire batch will be consumed within 2 days. There's something about beer that makes chili get skanky pretty quick

Great Post!

Typically I use beans, steak, pork, and beef in chili.

I'm saving this recipe for future reference!
You know, just to see if the wife-lady approves!

Thanks!

I keep both camps happy by making two pots at once. One gets beans and one doesn't. I eat the ones with beans. Good for your heart ...

the more you eat ... the more ...

I have a go to recipe for chili I've used for years, but I am going to give this a try. And I'll ignore the no beans typo.:shock:

Back