THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

awesome cook, that pig looks great!

When you probed, were you going through the skin, or did you have to slit the skin and then probe?

I stabbed her through the skin. My thermapen is pointy!

The skin was kinda tough, so I'd stab a hole, then gently try a couple spots with the same hole.

I stabbed her through the skin. I'd stab a hole, then gently try a couple spots with the same hole.

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

:caked::caked::caked::caked::caked:

Whew, page 3. Safe to come out and play now?

OK, I'll bite. Not what I expected when I opened the thread, but relieved ;)

Really though, looks great Shags, I really hope to "do a pig like Shaggy did" later this fall!

Impressive, great post!!
Curious, was the skin edible?
Did you rub the skin?

There were a few tasty bits but for most part, not edible. Very leathery. I think you need to cook it butterflied on a block pit over coals to get the tasty crispy skin. I did not rub the outside except for a little vegetable oil.

Well you started at the top, so it's all downhill from here! :heh:

Seriously though - such a fanfarkingtastic cook, esp. for a first time out - hell, for a 10th or 100th time out! Eating tasty pig is a great thing to do, but what's best is the time spent with family and friends - that's the good stuff right there IMO.

That tray is super cool - beats the chit out of my plywood wrapped with foil! :oops:

I knew it was gonna turn out great - nice work brother! :whoo:

MooseLikes_zps5f21f484.jpg

Whew, page 3. Safe to come out and play now?

OK, I'll bite. Not what I expected when I opened the thread, but relieved ;)

Really though, looks great Shags, I really hope to "do a pig like Shaggy did" later this fall!

:laugh: I'm amazed it took till page 3. It was totally intentional.

It was a running joke all day. "Hey guys, welcome. I'm doing a pig tonight, but don't tell my wife I said that, she hates it when I call her that. Also, I'm cooking a hog. "

Yes. My wife is a saint. Also, she never heard the joke. Nor did any of her friends until I was drunk enough to blame the scotch.

Well you started at the top, so it's all downhill from here! :heh:

Seriously though - such a fanfarkingtastic cook, esp. for a first time out - hell, for a 10th or 100th time out! Eating tasty pig is a great thing to do, but what's best is the time spent with family and friends - that's the good stuff right there IMO.

That tray is super cool - beats the chit out of my plywood wrapped with foil! :oops:

I knew it was gonna turn out great - nice work brother! :whoo:

Thanks brother. I really appreciated your expertise.

Plywood with foil?? :doh: that sounds way easier to make!!! Actually mines really not far from that but I do tend to over-engineer. I'm more mad that I didn't make it 3" longer.. Then it would fit perfectly over my table top. Never even occurred to me to measure the table. I was just concerned with the grate size. Oh well. I'm not building another one, so I better find a smaller table!

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Well done Shag! I didn't expect anything less when I clicked on this post. Amazing color on that beast! I bet it smelled ridiculous.

Awesome work. Whole hog is a BBQ right of passage.

RE edible skin: Ive done 2 direct coal cinderblock cooks and even then, its not that great. Maybe the masters in the Carolina's have perfected it

On a side note would you say the taste is better cooking a whole hog or just doing butts? Or is the whole hog cooking more just for conversation? Just weighing out if I would want to get a hog cooker down the road or if just keep cooking butts

Back