Select/Choice Angus Brisket...hmmmm.

I put it on at 4:30 (mountain time). Three hours in and the IT is about 145. UDS dropped to about 180* earlier. Stayed there probably 45 minutes or so. It's getting cold outside. Opened all three inlets and we are back up to 240* and holding steady.

Well, it's 10:30 and I have encountered a problem. Nothing that can't be taken care of, but a problem nonetheless. Apparently the thermometer on the UDS is just a bit off. Went out to check and it was still cruising at 240* but the meat was pretty damn dark and already hitting 185*. this is pretty quick for a 240* cook. I drop a probe stuck in a piece of sweet potato onto the grate and can you believe it? 320*! Eighty degree difference. For what it's worth, the temperature gage on the drum is about an inch or so below the grate. Not sure what happened there. Time to replace that bad boy, I guess. Since the bark was plenty dark, I went ahead and foiled with a shot of apple juice (I typically don't foil briskets) and choked the temp back down where I wanted it. Didn't get a picture before I wrapped it because I was a little miffed at that point, but I think it will be ok.

320* is fine, I run my UDS there a lot on briskets. Be glad, it'll be done sooner. :thumb: UDS looks new, first time cooking on it?

I just cleaned, re-painted and re-seasoned it and put some new bolts in it. Didn't use it much, so it was in pretty bad shape out behind the shed. I figured it was time to resurrect it and use it more. I don't really have a problem with 320*. It works, but I would have liked to have known I was going hot and fast when I started... Pic coming up. I think you will see that everything is working out fine.

Here it is an hour later. Probing nicely. Time to rest.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 123
Good morning everyone. Here we go... I don't know how to caption each picture so...
1. After resting. Five hours in double foil, towels and an ice chest. IT was 155* when I got started.
2. Point pulled away from flat without cutting. I always love it when that happens.
3. I cut a piece off of the flat WITH the grain. I'll explain that in a minute.
4. Three slices done "proper". Not too bad. Taste was awesome.

Next, the with the grain explanation.

Attachments

• IMG_1685.jpg
    IMG_1685.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1686.jpg
    IMG_1686.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1688.jpg
    IMG_1688.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1689.jpg
    IMG_1689.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 95
So I decided that today would be.... Machaca Monday!
For those that may not know, machaca is a local favorite. In a sense, it's a scrambled brisket omelet type dish. It's usually done as a burrito, but it is also done on a plate with refired beans and hash browns. No beans, hashbrowns or tortillas means all by itself. Still amazing.
1. Shredded some of the flat. That was the reason for cutting a piece with the grain.
2. Chopped a little bit of onion, tomato and jalapeno.
3. Sweat them out for a minute in the pan.
4. Stir in the meat.
5. Add some beaten eggs.
6. The finished product. Good stuff.

Typically, the brisket is boiled or braised and it still tastes alright, but I have found that a smoked brisket "smokes" the traditional style all day long.

Thanks for watching.

Attachments

• IMG_1695.jpg
    IMG_1695.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1694.jpg
    IMG_1694.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1692.jpg
    IMG_1692.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1691.jpg