Scared to Death

Sounds like you have a couple solid smokers to cook on. I'm sure you'll do fine. You are in the same boat as everyone else who started out competing. My only advice is to drink heavily and stay up late :crazy:..........or maybe it is the opposite of that. Have fun and chat it up with all the teams. Tons of great folks around to help :clap2:.

No reason to be stressed. Everyone is very welcoming and willing to help out in any way they can. Just make sure you have a time line established. For your first competition, your goal should be to meet all turnins. That should be considered a successful day to you. Anything in addition to that is a bonus. My first competiton consisted of only my wife and I. It was very exhausting, but fun. I did everything except for make the turn in boxes and I was extremely busy. If you can find a couple individuals to help out with fire maintence, prep, or anything else that would help you out a lot. Try to pay attention to things going on around you, but don't "nose" too much. Good luck!

I have a friend who has been smoking with me since I first got this crazy idea. So I'll have him to help (or do all of it while I sleep). We've done a few practice runs to get our timing down but have yet to work on the turn in boxes. That's our goal for this weekend.

I have a brewery full of BBQ brewers that come over the house and critique the food. We're taught to be impartial of what beer we like and only worry that it is true to type. So hopefully when they test the BBQ they hold true to that thought.

And one thing I learned long ago, make a list! Nothing get done without it.

I feel your pressure as I am doing my first Comp in a few weeks. My goal is simple:
Show up
Make friends
Hit my turn in times
Establish a base line to work from for future Comps.
We will see what happens.

At Chesapeake you'll have to deal with the Fire marshal Nazi. Make sure you have a current 5 lb ABC extinguisher with receipt or tag. Your cookers will have to be outside of your shelter by 5 feet.

Lol yes. As another poster said "Once on your on site, sometimes it can be tough to leave and get yourself say, a fire extinguisher." Been there and done that...and Chesapeake was where I did it. :becky: The fire extinguisher I had been using for the previous 50 contests didn't cut it there. I'm also sporting a 15' high pressure propane hose I had to custom order for my sink - again also because of Chesapeake.

Last edited:
Some suggestions:

Set a realistic goal, like just making all your turn-ins or not finishing DAL.

Make your boxes either Friday or early Saturday when you have some down time and place a wet paper towel on top of the parsley or lettuce and throw them in the cooler. That will keep them fresh.

Drink three or four 120 Minutes Saturday morning and just see where the day takes you.

Pick two of my suggestions. Choose wisely :-D

Make your goal for your first comp: Do not get a DQ in any category. It sounds like a no-brainer, but it's easy to get DQ'd: wrong greenery, ribs not cut all the way thru (I've seen this one bite experienced teams), a foreign object in box. My wife's job is box inspector (no jeers please :heh: ). She makes sure that the box is right before it walks.

As Slamdunk said, beware the Fire marshall Nazi. The guy has a reputation in Chesapeake, and not a good one for the BBQ people. I heard that he even rejected someone's EZUp because the tag had been ripped off saying it was fire retardant.

Time line, Time line, Time line!! That will bite you. It still gets to me. I have to have a Bloody Mary before chicken and a beer before pork just to calm down. Those 30 minutes windows come quick after chicken time. It will unnerve you if you haven't prepared for it. No time to relax between. As soon as you turn in one, you need clean your work station and get setup for the next box. Disposable table covers help here. Just rip off the nasty one and put down a clean new one.

If you have help, assign one person to clean things. Luckily for us we have a clean-freak friend. His job is to wash all implements (spatulas, brushes, etc) and he puts them back out like a surgeon's assistant. It's not cool to take away your tongs and then cant find them. This guy also takes away the meat and bags it after each turn in. This may sound trivial but it really helps.

As Ron L said, do a full practice in your backyard with the same time lines. Make notes. Try to have everything you need on your site and try not to go back in the house for anything. If you do forget something, write it down.

Looks like you're a beer fan. Good. Have your celebration beers ready. As soon as you turn in Brisket, break out your team beer and Celebrate! You deserved it!

I may be in Chesapeake with the Pigs on the Run team. If so I'll look you up. What's your team name?

Fire extinguisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro
At Chesapeake you'll have to deal with the Fire marshal Nazi. Make sure you have a current 5 lb ABC extinguisher with receipt or tag. Your cookers will have to be outside of your shelter by 5 feet.

Lol yes. As another poster said "Once on your on site, sometimes it can be tough to leave and get yourself say, a fire extinguisher." Been there and done that...and Chesapeake was where I did it. The fire extinguisher I had been using for the previous 50 contests didn't cut it there. I'm also sporting a 15' high pressure propane hose I had to custom order for my sink - again also because of Chesapeake.
www.teamzbq.com

KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS

:thumb: I cook alone, so if the ZBQ team hadn't helped me by running over to Wally World on Saturday morning and getting me one with a receipt just to satisfy the Marshal (who didn't accept the brand new, still-in-box one I had b/c I didn't have the receipt), I would've been out of last year's Sam's regional.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBQ
This was a great thread.

I am doing my first comp next week-end at the Bixby BBQ'n Blues Festival.

Now off to read Ackman's post...

Make your goal for your first comp: Do not get a DQ in any category. It sounds like a no-brainer, but it's easy to get DQ'd: wrong greenery, ribs not cut all the way thru (I've seen this one bite experienced teams), a foreign object in box. My wife's job is box inspector (no jeers please :heh: ). She makes sure that the box is right before it walks.

As Slamdunk said, beware the Fire marshall Nazi. The guy has a reputation in Chesapeake, and not a good one for the BBQ people. I heard that he even rejected someone's EZUp because the tag had been ripped off saying it was fire retardant.

Time line, Time line, Time line!! That will bite you. It still gets to me. I have to have a Bloody Mary before chicken and a beer before pork just to calm down. Those 30 minutes windows come quick after chicken time. It will unnerve you if you haven't prepared for it. No time to relax between. As soon as you turn in one, you need clean your work station and get setup for the next box. Disposable table covers help here. Just rip off the nasty one and put down a clean new one.

If you have help, assign one person to clean things. Luckily for us we have a clean-freak friend. His job is to wash all implements (spatulas, brushes, etc) and he puts them back out like a surgeon's assistant. It's not cool to take away your tongs and then cant find them. This guy also takes away the meat and bags it after each turn in. This may sound trivial but it really helps.

As Ron L said, do a full practice in your backyard with the same time lines. Make notes. Try to have everything you need on your site and try not to go back in the house for anything. If you do forget something, write it down.

Looks like you're a beer fan. Good. Have your celebration beers ready. As soon as you turn in Brisket, break out your team beer and Celebrate! You deserved it!

I may be in Chesapeake with the Pigs on the Run team. If so I'll look you up. What's your team name?

We've decided to call ourselves Simple Joe's BBQ.

We did our practice run Friday and Saturday. The timing went well but our turn in boxes weren't exactly pretty.

Hi Jon- we will be there, arriving Friday morning. Chesapeake was our very first comp as cooks last year. Our goals (and still are) 1. Don't miss a turn in. 2. Don't DAL. 3. Do the best we possible can...even if it starts POURING rain at 2AM. OK- so we didn't exactly accomplish #2- we were DAL in Anything But. Look forward to meeting you. We are in Virginia Beach, hit us up if you need anything !

I'm a little slow but saw your team name is a tongue in cheek version of Cats Ass. How did it end up there? Pretty distinct. Especially with the cat anus picture.

Last edited:
I'm a little slow but saw your team name is a tongue in cheek version of Cats Ass. How did it end up there? Pretty distinct. Especially with the cat anus picture.

Right here in the Brethren, my friend. Ron L's dad or in-laws (I forget) has a boat called the Cat Sass. That plus our friends were telling us (me and Beerguy) that our BBQ was the best, none other than the Cat's Ass of BBQ. Which is one step better than the Cat's Meow. The name stuck and we just rolled with it.

<Hijack off>

Right here in the Brethren, my friend. Ron L's dad or in-laws (I forget) has a boat called the Cat Sass. That plus our friends were telling us (me and Beerguy) that our BBQ was the best, none other than the Cat's Ass of BBQ. Which is one step better than the Cat's Meow. The name stuck and we just rolled with it.

<Hijack off>

Ha! Awesome. Thanks.

This is a fantastic thread. Thanks all for your inputs. I too will be doing my first comp at Chesapeake this year and wrote down a ton of the suggestions here. Team name is Woody's Pig Stix and would love to meet anyone that comes by. I do not mingle very well so look forward to meeting those that are there.

I have not done a full practice and will not have the chance due to other obligations every weekend between now and then, but I think I have a good timeline and will be doing practice boxes this weekend.

Thanks again for all the great advice and hope to meet many of you.

Back