San Antonio - Harmon's BBQ?

B

BrooklynQ

[SIZE=+2]OK - San Antonio Brothers, How come I never heard of this place? Any good?

Readers' Choice 2006 — Barbecue: Harmon's Barbecue

[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Web Posted: 06/02/2006 12:00 AM CDT

[/SIZE]
D_IMAGE.10b4d1f7e53.93.88.fa.d0.4549fbf1.jpg
(Laura McKenzie/Special to the E-N)
The menu at Harmon's Barbecue includes chicken, ribs, brisket, sausage and turkey.

John Griffin
Express-News Dining Editor

How do you rate your barbecue? Do you judge it by the tenderness of the brisket? The spiciness and texture of the sausage? The ease in which the wood flavor permeates the pork ribs? The tanginess of the sauce? All of the above?
We critics fall into the latter category, because, well, we want it all. We want the brisket to fall apart at the touch of a fork. We want the pork loin to have a crispy edge and moist, tender center. We want the sausage to burst out of its casing with more flavor than grease. And we want the sauce to be more tangy than sweet.
In other words, we want Harmon's Barbecue.
One reason for Harmon's success is the oak that the owners use to smoke the meat. Oak enhances the natural flavor of the meat, complementing it rather than overpowering it in the way that some mesquite can.
The restaurant's original site is at 100 S. Main St., Cibolo, where locals and military alike have long gathered for barbecue plates that could also include beef ribs as well as smoked chicken, turkey or catfish. Most Friday nights, you can enjoy some gospel music over a combination plate and a cold beer on the side.

In recent months, Harmon's Barbecue has brought its excellent smoked meats to downtown San Antonio. The second location, at 113B Alamo Plaza, is just below street level, and it offers more than barbecue: There's an all-you-can-eat self-service bar with coleslaw, an egg-rich potato salad, creamed corn, pinto beans and green beans, the latter two flavored with just the right amount of bacon. And don't forget, at either site, to purchase a jar of the tongue-tingling barbecue sauce on your way out the door.

It may be really good. I'm just not really impressed with the reviewer, who happens to edit the food section of the paper. In my opinion he's a pretentious ass on occasion. Everyone is entitled, until you you impact the bottom line of a business that may be tenuous at best.

Ask Zilla. He lives down there and eats at more of the places Mr. G reviews than I do.

BrooklynQ said:
[SIZE=+2]OK - San Antonio Brothers, How come I never heard of this place? Any good?

Readers' Choice 2006 — Barbecue: Harmon's Barbecue

[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Web Posted: 06/02/2006 12:00 AM CDT

[/SIZE]
D_IMAGE.10b4d1f7e53.93.88.fa.d0.4549fbf1.jpg
(Laura McKenzie/Special to the E-N)
The menu at Harmon's Barbecue includes chicken, ribs, brisket, sausage and turkey.

John Griffin
Express-News Dining Editor

How do you rate your barbecue? Do you judge it by the tenderness of the brisket? The spiciness and texture of the sausage? The ease in which the wood flavor permeates the pork ribs? The tanginess of the sauce? All of the above?
We critics fall into the latter category, because, well, we want it all. We want the brisket to fall apart at the touch of a fork. We want the pork loin to have a crispy edge and moist, tender center. We want the sausage to burst out of its casing with more flavor than grease. And we want the sauce to be more tangy than sweet.
In other words, we want Harmon's Barbecue.
One reason for Harmon's success is the oak that the owners use to smoke the meat. Oak enhances the natural flavor of the meat, complementing it rather than overpowering it in the way that some mesquite can.
The restaurant's original site is at 100 S. Main St., Cibolo, where locals and military alike have long gathered for barbecue plates that could also include beef ribs as well as smoked chicken, turkey or catfish. Most Friday nights, you can enjoy some gospel music over a combination plate and a cold beer on the side.

In recent months, Harmon's Barbecue has brought its excellent smoked meats to downtown San Antonio. The second location, at 113B Alamo Plaza, is just below street level, and it offers more than barbecue: There's an all-you-can-eat self-service bar with coleslaw, an egg-rich potato salad, creamed corn, pinto beans and green beans, the latter two flavored with just the right amount of bacon. And don't forget, at either site, to purchase a jar of the tongue-tingling barbecue sauce on your way out the door.

I've had harmons BBQ many times. My friends band plays there every other friday night. The original place is about 5 miles from my house over in Cibolo, I didn't know they opened another place on the river in down town San Antonio. Most folks would have a hard time finding the original place and it's basically unknown outside the NE side of SA. The BBQ is OK and the owners are super nice folks. It would be worth a try for folks visiting, although there is nothing else in the little town of Cibolo. BTW - Jorge is correct, John Griffin the reviewer is a Royal Ass!!!

Probably why I had never heard of it. Will have to try it out sometime when we are downtown.

Back