Sam's Contests? What happened to Troy?

Basically the Fire Marshall was strict in Marietta and the Sam's folks were enforcing it down to the inch :becky:. About as simple as that. So if your local comp doesn't have a fire marshal checking on things then you probably don't have to worry about the folks that run Sam's visiting you.

Yes, my comment was to be taken as tongue and cheek... It was inconvenient as we had very heavy rain, and I had heard that a few teams had damage to electronics. The problem was that it was a last minute rule change, but one that most of us were able to adapt, and compensate.

I forgot how easy it was to stir up things here! :biggrin:

Yes, my comment was to be taken as tongue and cheek... It was inconvenient as we had very heavy rain, and I had heard that a few teams had damage to electronics. The problem was that it was a last minute rule change, but one that most of us were able to adapt, and compensate.

I forgot how easy it was to stir up things here! :biggrin:

Well some truth to it though as I've never seen a competition so strict :doh:.

The rules about canopies at a Sam Club competition were determined by the fire marshall, not Troy Black.

One contest was almost shut down by the fire department, so Sam's starting doing some preemptive enforced. In Chesapeake fire extinguishers were a big issue, and many teams (including mine) were forced to go buy new ones during the contest even thought the equipment I had passed muster at dozens of other contests.

I have also been in other contests that did not allow smokers under a tent. Mine are set up to operate in the rain because it's a pretty common restriction in the northeast.

It is surprising that Troy left mid-season. I personally liked the way Troy ran the events - the rare "on time" awards ceremony was a big plus.

I liked Troy. I thought he did a good job. Easy to talk to. Fun guy. And I am a big fan of Mike and Theresa Lake. Two really nice people. I only have good things to say about the organizers. Now the judges on the other hand.

The rules about canopies at a Sam Club competition were determined by the fire marshall, not Troy Black.

One contest was almost shut down by the fire department, so Sam's starting doing some preemptive enforced. In Chesapeake fire extinguishers were a big issue, and many teams (including mine) were forced to go buy new ones during the contest even thought the equipment I had passed muster at dozens of other contests.

I have also been in other contests that did not allow smokers under a tent. Mine are set up to operate in the rain because it's a pretty common restriction in the northeast.

It is surprising that Troy left mid-season. I personally liked the way Troy ran the events - the rare "on time" awards ceremony was a big plus.

Of course we are always at the mercy of the municipality BUT we had a conversation with the Fire Marshal in Chesapeake last year and he stated that the Sam's club tour personnel were informed well in advance about both the fire extinguisher and no cooker under canopy requirements. That being said why did they wait until the day of the event to spring the canopy requirement on the cooks? In our case it's no big deal except that we need 10 additional feet of space.

Most teams can plan around any requirement with advanced notice. It's the day of surprises that create hardships.

Just as an added note, I did love the 3pm awards ceremony that was fast and to the point! Also, my only real beef with the canopy rule was that cold smokers (no fire) were required to be out in the open during a pretty bad thunder storm. I take very good care of my equipment (don't say a word Dave!!), which means protecting stuff from the elements. Had the smokers been lit, it would have been a different story. But again, it was a good contest, and we were able to adapt.

Looks like it's supposed to rain this weekend in North Charleston, I hope they don't have a problem cooking under a canopy there.

How is under a canopy any different than one mounted in a trailer?

I'm having a hard time remembering seeing a cooker mounted on a trailer that didn't have the exhaust extending above the roof or vented outside. I've seen cookers rolled out on a ramp, but not covered by canopy or hard roof. I'm sure that someone has done it, but I don't think I've seen it.

I'm having a hard time remembering seeing a cooker mounted on a trailer that didn't have the exhaust extending above the roof or vented outside. I've seen cookers rolled out on a ramp, but not covered by canopy or hard roof. I'm sure that someone has done it, but I don't think I've seen it.

That's exactly how our setup is: cooker on ramp, ez-up on stilts over the ramp and the cooker.

I cook on the tailgate with an ez up over it. I don't lik the idea of my two pellet cookers getting rained on in Charleston.. Hopefully it won't be a problem

I've run into the problem before re: canopy and cooker. As long as you have a copy of the manufacturers fire retardant rating specifically for the canopy you are using, the FD will normally accept it and allow its use as a smoker cover. Contact EZup or your brand and they should supply you with the required document which is required even unto California.

The most strict FD and HD that I deal with are the Rio Rancho folks and it passes muster with them. I get my fire extinguisher inspected each year and have never had a problem in this area. I just made sure my extinguisher was larger with the proper rating for the application.

If you contact Kim or someone else at Trybe Targeting (MMA division responsible for the Sam's events) She will work with you to insure you get the right docs as we had to do this for the Kraft, Garland Jack activations at Wally World and Sam's.

I've run into the problem before re: canopy and cooker. As long as you have a copy of the manufacturers fire retardant rating specifically for the canopy you are using, the FD will normally accept it and allow its use as a smoker cover. Contact EZup or your brand and they should supply you with the required document which is required even unto California.

The most strict FD and HD that I deal with are the Rio Rancho folks and it passes muster with them. I get my fire extinguisher inspected each year and have never had a problem in this area. I just made sure my extinguisher was larger with the proper rating for the application.

EZ ups didn't fly either in Marietta. We also had another competition last year where they Fire Marshall even knew the difference between the Fire Retardant material in the EZ ups which the rules were cookers had to be 5ft away. Any other canopy material had to be 10ft away. Obviously each Fire Marshall/city is different.

Best to plan for keeping your electronics in weather boxes or ziplock bags. I had my cyber q in zip lock bag and tented the fans with tin foil. Oddly it didn't rain overnight :mrgreen:

It is much easier to ignite a canopy than it is a trailer. Thinking cloth vs. hard materials.
It's not that easy - EZ-Up (and most commercial canopies) are flame retardant to the point where you need an accelerant to sustain combustion. Worst you're going to do is burn a few pin holes. The whole requirement is silly.

It's not that easy - EZ-Up (and most commercial canopies) are flame retardant to the point where you need an accelerant to sustain combustion. Worst you're going to do is burn a few pin holes. The whole requirement is silly.

You're right but that argument doesn't typically pass muster unless you've got the documentation (as mentioned above by Smoke'n Ice) to show to the FD. Even then, it may not convince them.

My cookers are mounted inside my enclosed cook trailer without any exhaust extentions. The rear 12-14 feet is double walled off from the 40 foot total box length. I run two smokers in the seperate back section. I open one of the barn doors on the back and hang a heavy duty high speed radial fan in it to exhaust the smoke out. As far as the walls, roof, and floor, it's all alluminum. Never had a problem with the fire marshal...least not yet....keep a type G extinguisher in the trailer too.

You're right but that argument doesn't typically pass muster unless you've got the documentation (as mentioned above by Smoke'n Ice) to show to the FD. Even then, it may not convince them.

This is true, part of the issue is that most of the canopy importers are based in California so they certify based on the CPIA-84 standard and don't spend the extra $$ to get the NFPA-701 certification (CPIA is actually a stricter standard but the code writers don't acknowledge that). Only the higher end EZ-UP's are NFPA-701.

Most state fire codes are written requiring NFPA-701 certification.

Back